The fabric of the human body : an annotated translation of the 1543 and 1555 editions / by Daniel H. Garrison, Malcolm H. Hast.
- Standardized Title:
- De humani corporis fabrica. English
- Basel ; New York : Karger, 2014.
2 volumes (cxix, 1337, v pages) : illustrations ; 44 cm
- Human anatomy -- Early works to 1800.
Human anatomy -- Atlases -- Early works to 1800.
Physiology -- Early works to 1800.
Blood-vessels -- Early works to 1800.
Vesalius, Andreas, 1514-1564. De humani corporis fabrica.
Nerves -- Early works to 1800.
De humani corporis fabrica (Vesalius, Andreas)
- Medical subjects:
Bone and Bones -- anatomy & histology.
- Place of Publication:
- Switzerland Basel.
United States New York (State) New York.
- Translations into English of both the 1543 and 1555 editions.
- This title recreates the masterpiece of science and art for the first time in a way that is understandable to 21st century readers who do not have any knowledge of Latin. The texts of both the 1543 and the 1555 editions have been translated with the utmost care by Northwestern University Professors Emeritus Daniel H. Garrison and Malcolm H. Hast, a task they completed in over 20 years of painstaking and dedicated work. Annotations give the reader keen insight into just how innovative 'De humani corporis fabrica' was, and high-resolution digital scans of the almost 300 woodcuts provide the images with a sharpness they never had before.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the President Emeritus Martin Meyerson Fund.
RBC copy housed with: Karger gazette (October 2013), number 73 (12 pages : illustrations ; 42 cm), containing several articles related to this work, and bound volume of sample pages from this work (pages 112-113, 224-227, 324-325, 330-331, 334-335, 352-, 698-699, 708-715, 722-723, 738-739, 742-743, 774-775, 820-821, 830-831, 942-943).
- Penn Chronology:
- Garrison, Daniel H., translator, writer of added commentary.
Hast, Malcolm Howard, 1931- translator, writer of added commentary.
Siraisi, Nancy G.
President Emeritus Martin Meyerson Fund.
- 9783318022469 (hard cover : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|