Heavy water and other stories / Martin Amis.
- First Vintage International edition.
- New York : Vintage International, 2000.
208 pages ; 21 cm
- England -- Social life and customs -- 20th century -- Fiction.
United States -- Social life and customs -- 20th century -- Fiction.
Manners and customs
- In this wickedly delightful collection of stories, Martin Amis once again demonstrates why he is a modern master of the form. In "Career Move," screenwriters struggle for their art, while poets are the darlings of Hollywood. In "Straight Fiction," the love that dare not speak its name calls out to the hero when he encounters a forbidden object of desire--the opposite sex. And in "State of England," Mal, a former "minder to the superstars," discovers how to live in a country where "class and race and gender were supposedly gone." In Heavy Water and Other Stories, Amis astonishes us with the vast range of his talent, establishing that he is one of the most versatile and gifted writers of his generation.
- Career move
State of England
Let me count the times
The coincidence of the arts
The janitor on Mars
What happened to me on my holiday.
- "Originally published in hardcover in Great Britain by Jonathan Cape Ltd., London, in 1998"--Back of title page.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copies 1 & 2)
- Penn Chronology:
- Vintage International.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Amis, Martin. Heavy water.
- 037570115X (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|