Martin Dressler : the tale of an American dreamer / Steven Millhauser.
- First Vintage Contemporaries edition.
- New York : Vintage Books, 1997.
viii, 293 pages ; 21 cm
- Businesspeople -- New York (State) -- New York -- Fiction.
New York (State) -- New York.
- Miscellaneous fiction.
- In Steven Millhauser's new novel set in turn-of-the-century New York City, we watch young entrepreneur Martin Dressler like many of his day make the ascent from hotel bellhop to builder of hotels. This mesmerizing novel brings us face to face with the ambiguity beneath the optimism of the American dream with a swiftness and intensity that are in themselves magnificently dreamlike.
- Dressler's cigars and tobacco
The Vanderlyn Hotel
A business venture
Little Alice Bell
The paradise musée
Caroline and Emmeline Vernon
A Sunday afternoon stroll
The eighth day of the week
Mr. Westerhoven makes a proposal
Business and pleasure
The blue velvet box
The fate of the Vanderlyn
A fifth chair at dinner
The new Dressler
The grand cosmo.
- Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, 1997.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copies 1 & 2)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|