Thai astrological and medical manuscript, 1920s or 1930s.
- 1920s or 1930s.
1 item (52 folios) : paper, illustrations ; 11.5 x 34.5 cm.
- Astrology, Thai.
- Folded books.
Drawings (visual works)
Manuscripts, Thai -- 20th century.
Manuscripts -- Thailand -- 20th century.
- In Thai (Thai).
- Illustrated manuscript concerning illness, healing, and the relation of time to different parts of the body, perhaps a field manual for healers. Side A is in two sections written from each end towards the middle: a series of diagrams annotated by multiple hands (f. 1r-14r) and a text (f. 26r-15r). Side B (f. 1v-26v) is all text, beginning from where the upper cover would be. Text includes both horosat and tamrat texts.
- Written in 7 lines per segment on text folios.
Probably written in upper central Thailand in the 1920s or 1930s (Justin McDaniel).
Khoi paper; folded concertina- or accordion-style; no covers.
14 illustrated folios with line drawings of dancers (f. 2r-14r) and a group of studies in ink and pencil of small animals in motion (f.1r).
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold to Konrad and Sarah M. Bekker in the 1950s or 1960s; Konrad Bekker worked for the State Department in Asia and Sarah Bekker was an art historian.
Sold from the estate of Konrad and Sarah M. Bekker at auction at Sloans & Kenyon, 14-16 June 2013, part of lot 467.
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Coll. 990, Item 9
- Bekker, Konrad, died 1981, former owner.
Bekker, Sarah M., died 2013, former owner.
- Contained In:
- Collection of Southeast Asian Manuscripts. Item 9
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|