Safe / Sony Pictures Classics ; American Playhouse Theatrical Films presents a Chemical Films production in association with Good Machine, Kardana Productions, Channel 4 Films, Arnold Semler ; executive producers, James Schamus, Lindsay Law, Ted Hope ; producers, Christine Vachon, Lauren Zalaznick ; written and directed by Todd Haynes.
- Director-approved two-DVD special edition.
- [Irvington, N.Y.] : The Criterion Collection, 
- Criterion collection; 739.
The Criterion collection ; 739
2 videodiscs (119 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 fold-out insert.
DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Multiple chemical sensitivity -- Patients -- Drama.
Allergy -- Drama.
Pollution -- Drama.
Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Drama.
- Feature films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Feature films -- United States.
Feature films -- Great Britain.
- In English with optional English captions.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, region 1, widescreen (1.85:1), monoaural.
digital optical mono Dolby Digital 1.0
laser optical NTSC
video file DVD video region 1
- Carol White is an L.A. housewife in the late 1980s who comes down with a debilitating illness. After the doctors she sees can give her no clear diagnosis, she comes to believe that she has frighteningly extreme environmental allergies. A prescient commentary on self-help culture, as a metaphor for the AIDS crisis, as a drama about class and social estrangement, and as a horror film about what cannot be seen.
- Julianne Moore, Peter Friedman, Xander Berkeley, Susan Norman, Kate McGregor Stewart, Mary Carver, Steven Gilborn, April Grace, Peter Crombie, Ronnie Farer, Jodie Markell, Lorna Scott, James LeGros, Dean Norris.
- Costume design, Nancy Steiner ; production design, David Bomba ; music composer and performer, Ed Tomney ; editor, James Lyons ; director of photography, Alex Nepomniaschy.
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1995.
Special features: Disc 1: Commentary (with director Todd Haynes, actress Julianne Moore and producer Christine Vachon); Trailer. Disc 2: The suicide (a 1978 short film by Haynes); Todd Haynes and Julianne Moore (conversation between Haynes and Moore where they reflect on the strength of their working relationship and talk about the film where it all began); Christine Vachon (new interview with Vachon where she reflects on the beginnings of her collaborations with director Todd Haynes and discusses the historical context of Safe). Insert includes an essay by critic Dennis Lim.
- Semler, Arnold A., film producer., Producer
Schamus, James, 1959- film producer., Producer
Law, Lindsay, film producer., Producer
Hope, Ted, film producer., Producer
Vachon, Christine, film producer., Producer
Zalaznick, Lauren, film producer., Producer
Haynes, Todd, screenwriter, film director., Director
Moore, Julianne, actor., Actor
Friedman, Peter, 1949- actor., Actor
Berkeley, Xander, 1955- actor., Actor
Norman, Susan Gayle, actor., Actor
McGregor-Stewart, Kate, actor., Actor
Carver, Mary, 1924-2013, actor., Actor
Gilborn, Steven, actor., Actor
Grace, April, 1962- actor., Actor
Crombie, Peter, actor., Actor
Farer, Ronnie, actor., Actor
Markell, Jodie, 1959- actor., Actor
Scott, Lorna, actor., Actor
LeGros, James, actor., Actor
Norris, Dean, actor., Actor
Steiner, Nancy, costume designer., Costume designer
Bomba, David J., production designer.
Tomney, Ed, composer (expression), performer., Composer
Lyons, James, 1960-2007, film editor., Editor
Nepomniaschy, Alex, director of photography., Cinematographer
Lim, Dennis, 1973- writer of supplementary textual content., Associated name
Sony Pictures Classics (Firm), production company., Producer
American Playhouse Theatrical Films, presenter., Presenter
Chemical Films (Firm), production company., Producer
Good Machine (Firm), production company., Producer
Kardana Productions, production company., Producer
Channel Four Films (Firm), production company., Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm), film distributor., Distributor
- Container of: Suicide (Motion picture)
- Publisher Number:
CC2424D The Criterion Collection (set)
CC2424D-1 The Criterion Collection (disc one)
CC2424D-2 The Criterion Collection (disc two)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|