Do you hear them? / Nathalie Sarraute ; translation by Maria Jolas.
- Standardized Title:
- Vous les entendez? English
- 1st Dalkey Archive ed.
- [Normal, Ill.] : Dalkey Archive Press, 2004.
- French literature series (Normal, Ill.)
Coleman Dowell series.
French literature series
Coleman Dowell series
147 pages ; 21 cm.
- Father and child -- Fiction.
Conflict of generations -- Fiction.
Conflict of generations.
Father and child.
- "The setting of Nathalie Sarraute's Do You Hear Them? is a dinner conversation between a father and his old friend about a recently acquired pre-Columbian statue. As they discuss the merits of the piece and art in general, the father hears his children upstairs, giggling. This mirth is barbaric and devastating to the father, for in their laughter he hears them mocking his "old fashioned" viewpoint and the energy he wastes on collecting lifeless objects. In his mind, they have no respect for what has been of greatest importance to him in his life."--Jacket.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Jolas, M.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Sarraute, Nathalie. Vous les entendez? English. Do you hear them?
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|