The Cambridge economic history of modern Britain / edited by Roderick Floud, Gresham College, London, Jane Humphries, University of Oxford, Paul Johnson, University of Western Australia.
- Other Title:
- Economic history of modern Britain
- New edition.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2014-
volumes ; 26 cm
- Great Britain -- Economic conditions.
Great Britain -- Economic conditions -- 18th century.
Great Britain -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- Economic conditions -- 20th century.
- "A new edition of the leading textbook on the economic history of Britain since industrialisation. Leading historians and economists examine the foundational importance of economic life in modern Britain as well as the close interconnections between economic, social, political and cultural change. Each chapter provides a clear guide to the major controversies in the field and students are shown how to connect historical evidence with economic theory and how to apply quantitative methods. Volume 1, on 1700-1870, offers new approaches to classic issues such as the causes and consequences of industrialisation, the role of institutions and the state, and the transition from an organic to an inorganic economy, as well as introducing new issues such as globalisation, convergence and divergence, the role of science, technology and invention, and the growth of consumerism. Throughout the volume, British experience is set within an international context and its performance benchmarked against its global competitors"-- Provided by publisher.
"A new edition of the leading textbook on the Economic History of Britain since industrialization. Combining the expertise of more than 30 leading historians and economists, volume 1 tracks Britain's economic history in the period ranging from 1700-1870 from industrialization to global trade and empire. Each chapter provides a clear guide to the major controversies in the field and students are shown how to connect historical evidence with economic theory and apply quantitative methods"-- Provided by publisher.
- v. I. 1700-1870. The British Industrial Revolution in a European mirror / Brian A'Hearn
Occupational structure and population change / Leigh Shaw-Taylor and E. A. Wrigley
Agriculture, 1700-1870 / Joyce Burnette
Nutrition and health, 1700-1870 / David Meredith and Deborah Oxley
Regions / Nigel Goose
Labour markets and training / Patrick Wallis
Inequality and social mobility in the era of the industrial revolution / Gregory Clark and Neil Cummins
Consumption, 1700-1870 / Sara Horrell
An age of progress / Joel Mokyr
Technology / Robert Allen
The financial revolution and its consequences / Anne L. Murphy
Political power and British economic life, 1650-1870 / Julian Hoppit
The transport revolution in industrialising Britain / Dan Bogart
Overseas trade and empire / Nuala Zahedieh
Economic ideas and the emergence of political economy / Roger E. Backhouse and Keith Tribe
v. II. 1870 to the present. The legacy of the early start / Knick Harley
Economic growth during the long twentieth century / Nicholas Crafts
From empire to Europe : Britain in the world economy / Kevin Hjortshof O'Rourke
Population, migration and labour supply : Great Britain 1871-2011 / Timothy J. Hatton
Health and welfare / Bernard Harris
Income and living standards, 1870-2010 / Ian Gazeley
Technology, innovation and economic growth in Britain since 1870 / Tom Nicholas
Consumption and affluence, c. 1870-2010 / Avner Offer
Cycles and depressions / Matthias Morys
The city and the corporate economy since 1870 / David Chambers
Armaments and the economy / Jari Eloranta
The de-industrial revolution : the rise and fall of UK manufacturing, 1870-2010 / Michael Kitson and Jonathan Michie
The rise of the service sector / Stephen Broadberry
The household economy since 1870 / Peter Scott
The growth of the public sector / Robert Millward
Soft power : the media industries in Britain since 1870 / Gerben Bakker
Sterling and monetary policy, 1870-2010 / Catherine R. Schenk
Economic policy and management / Roger Middleton
Economic thought and ideology in Britain, 1870-2010 / Roger E. Backhouse and Keith Tribe.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Floud, Roderick, editor.
Humphries, Jane, 1948- editor.
Johnson, Paul (Paul A.), editor.
- 9781107038455 (volume 1 ; hardback)
1107038456 (volume 1 : hardback)
9781107631434 (volume 1 : paperback)
1107631432 (volume 1 : paperback)
9781107038462 (volume 2)
1107038464 (volume 2)
9781107686731 (volume 2)
1107686733 (volume 2)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|