Ben Jonson's walk to Scotland : an annotated edition of the 'foot voyage' / edited by James Loxley, Anna Groundwater, Julie Sanders.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom : Cambridge University Press, 2015.
xvii, 237 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm
- Jonson, Ben, 1573?-1637 -- Travel -- England.
Jonson, Ben, 1573?-1637 -- Travel -- Scotland.
Literature and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 17th century.
Cultural geography -- Great Britain.
England -- Foreign relations -- Scotland -- Early works to 1800.
Scotland -- Foreign relations -- England -- Early works to 1800.
- "At the heart of this book is a previously unpublished account of Ben Jonson's celebrated walk from London to Edinburgh in the summer of 1618. This unique firsthand narrative provides us with an insight into where Jonson went, whom he met, and what he did on the way. James Loxley, Anna Groundwater and Julie Sanders present a clear, readable and fully annotated edition of the text. An introduction and a series of contextual essays shed further light on topics including the evidence of provenance and authorship, Jonson's contacts throughout Britain, his celebrity status, and the relationships between his 'foot voyage' and other famous journeys of the time. The essays also illuminate wider issues such as early modern travel and political and cultural relations between England and Scotland. It is an invaluable volume for scholars and upper-level students of Ben Jonson studies, early modern literature, seventeenth-century social history, and cultural geography"-- Provided by publisher.
"At the heart of this book is a previously unpublished account of Ben Jonson's celebrated walk from London to Edinburgh in the summer of 1618. This unique first-hand narrative provides us with an insight into where Jonson went, whom he met, and what he did on the way"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: Introduction: Jonson's 'foot voyage' and the Aldersey manuscript; My gossip Jonson his foot voyage and mine into Scotland; Contextual essays; 1. The genres of a walk; 2. Jonson's foot work; 3. Scenes of hospitality; Works cited; Index.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 199-218) and index.
- Loxley, James, 1968- editor.
Groundwater, Anna, editor.
Sanders, Julie, 1968- editor.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- ebook version
- 9781107003330 (hardback)
9781316190494 (PDF ebook)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|