Through a lens darkly : black photographers and the emergence of a people / a film by Thomas Allen Harris ; a co-production of Through a Lens Darkly, LLC and the Independent Television Service (ITVS) ; produced in association with the National Black Programming Consortium (NPBC) ; Chimpanzee Productions.
- New York, NY : First Run Features, 2014. , ©2014
1 videodisc (92 min.) sound, color, black and white ; 4 3/4 in.
4 3/4 in.
- African American photographers -- History.
Photography -- United States -- History.
Photography -- Social aspects -- United States.
Photography -- Moral and ethical aspects -- United States.
United States -- Race relations -- History.
- Documentary films.
- System Details:
- DVD ; 5.1 + stereo audio options.
video file DVD video
- Inspired by Deborah Willis's book, Reflections in Black, Through a Lens Darkly, casts a broad net that begins with filmmaker Thomas Allen Harris's family album. It considers the difference between black photographers who use the camera to define themselves, their people, and their culture and some white photographers who, historically, have demeaned African-Americans through racist imagery. The film embraces both historical material (African-Americans who were slaves, who fought in the Civil War, were victims of lynchings, or were pivotal in the Civil Rights Movement) and contemporary images made by such luminaries as Roy DeCarava, Gordon Parks, and Carrie Mae Weems. The film is a cornucopia of Americana that reveals deeply disturbing truths about the history of race relations while expressing joyous, life-affirming sentiments about the ability of artists and amateurs alike to assert their identity through the photographic lens.
- Director, producer, writer, Thomas Allen Harris ; producers, Deborah Willis, Ann Bennett, Don Perry ; writers, Don Perry, Paul Carter Harrison ; editors, K.A. Miille, Matthew Cohn ; composer, Vernon Reid ; director of photography, Martina Radwan.
- Inspired by Deborah Willis's book, Reflections in Black : a history of black photographers 1840 to the present.
Originally released as a documentary film in 2014.
Special features: 14 short videos ; biographies.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1924 Book Fund.
- Harris, Thomas Allen, film director, film producer, screenwriter., Director, Producer, Screenwriter
Willis, Deborah, 1948- film producer., Producer
Bennett, Ann (Producer), film producer., Producer
Perry, Don, film producer, screenwriter., Producer, Screenwriter
Harrison, Paul Carter, 1936- screenwriter., Screenwriter
Reid, Vernon, composer (expression), Composer
Willis, Deborah, 1948- , Author
Independent Television Service, production company., Producer
National Black Programming Consortium, production company., Producer
Chimpanzee Productions, production company., Producer
First-Run Features (Firm), film distributor., Distributor
Class of 1924 Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
FRF916387D First Run Features
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|