Storyteller : the photographs of Duane Michals / Linda Benedict-Jones ; with contributions by Allen Ellenzweig, Marah Gubar, Adam Ryan, and Aaron Schuman ; and additional texts by William Jenkins, Max Kozloff, and Enrica Viganò.
- Pittsburgh : Carnegie Musem of Art ; Munich ; London ; New York : DelMonico Books, Prestel, 
239 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 31 cm
- Michals, Duane -- Exhibitions.
Photography, Artistic -- Exhibitions.
Storytelling -- Exhibitions.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- A self-taught photographer, Duane Michals broke away from established traditions of the medium during the 1960s. His messages and poems inscribed on the photographs, and his visual stories created through multiple images, defied the principles of the reigning practitioners of the form. Indeed, Michals considers himself as much a storyteller as a photographer. Accompanying a major traveling retrospective of his work, this book features Michals's best-known early sequences, 'The Spirit Leaves the Body', 'Paradise Regained', and 'Chance Meeting' - as well as works from later in his career such as 'The Bewitched Bee' and 'Who is Sidney Sherman?' Penetrating essays situate Michals within the history of 20th-century photography, explore the artist's images of sexual identity and sensuality, examine his legacy today, and address the childlike aspects of his work - a theme that has never been widely examined. An annotated timeline of Michals's biography includes rare archival materials and provides a unique glimpse into his life. Wide-ranging and timely, this volume offers a fresh appraisal of a popular artist who continues to create moving and experimental works that speak to a broad and evergrowing audience.
- Duane Michals: storyteller / Linda Benedict-Jones
Wounded by beauty / Allen Ellenzweig
This is a real dream (1974) / Interview by William Jenkins
Unsettling sentimentality: scrapbooks, children's books, and the assembled narratives of Duane Michals / Marah Gubar
Duane Michals speaks with Enrica Viganò (2001) / Interview by Enrica Viganò
Lessons learned: three encounters with Duane Michals / Aaron Schuman
Duane Michals, the impossible animist (2013) / Max Kozloff
Commercial work / Linda Benedict-Jones
Chronology of the life of Duane Michals / Adam Ryan.
- Presented at the exhibitions at Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh on November 1, 2014-February 16, 2015 ; Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts, March 14-June 21, 2015.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 234-235) and index.
- Benedict-Jones, Linda, author.
Ellenzweig, Allen, author.
Carnegie Museum of Art, host institution.
Peabody Essex Museum, host institution.
- Michals, Duane. Works. Selections.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|