The final pagan generation / Edward J. Watts.
- Oakland, California : University of California Press, 
- Transformation of the classical heritage ; 53.
Transformation of the classical heritage ; LIII
xvi, 327 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Paganism -- Rome.
Christianity and other religions -- Rome.
Rome -- Religion.
- "The Final Pagan Generation recounts the fascinating story of the lives and fortunes of the last Romans born before the Emperor Constantine converted to Christianity. Edward J. Watts traces their experiences of living through the fourth century's dramatic religious and political changes, when heated confrontations saw the Christian establishment legislate against pagan practices as mobs attacked pagan holy sites and temples. The emperors who issued these laws, the imperial officials charged with implementing them, and the Christian perpetrators of religious violence were almost exclusively young men whose attitudes and actions contrasted markedly with those of the earlier generation, who shared neither their juniors' interest in creating sharply defined religious identities nor their propensity toward violent conflict. Watts examines why the 'final pagan generation'-born to the old ways and the old world in which it seemed to everyone that religious practices would continue as they had for the last two thousand years--proved both unable to anticipate the changes that imperially sponsored Christianity produced and unwilling to resist them. A compelling and provocative read, suitable for the general reader as well as students and scholars of the ancient world"--Provided by publisher.
- Growing up in the cities of the gods
Education in an age of imagination
Moving up in an age of uncertainty
The new Pannonian order
Christian youth culture in the 360s and 370s
Bishops, bureaucrats, and aristocrats under Gratian, Valentinian II, and Theodosius
Old age in a young man's empire
A generation's legacy.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780520283701 (cloth)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|