Collection of upaniṣads and mantras, 1829.
1 item (32 leaves) : paper ; 12 x 24 cm.
- Hindu mantras.
Rites and ceremonies -- India.
Manuscripts, Sanskrit -- 19th century.
Manuscripts -- India -- 19th century.
- In Sanskrit (Devanāgarī)
- Collection of 10 upaniṣads as well as an introductory work of mantras; the texts are meant for recitation and study, and dealing with different cosmological, philosophical, ritual, and narrative topics.
- Daśaśānti (Part 1, f. 2r-2v)
Māṇḍūkyopaniṣad (Part 1, f. 3r-3v)
Taittirīyopaniṣad (Part 2, f. 1r-8r)
Kaṭhopaniṣad (Part 2, f. 8r-10r)
Chāndogyopaniṣad (Part 2, f. 10r-13r)
Praśnopaniṣad (Part 2, f. 13r-16r)
Muṇḍukopaniṣad (Part 2, f. 16r-18v)
Bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣad (Part 2, f. 18v-27v)
Aitareyopaniṣad (Part 2, f. 27v-29v)
Iśopaniṣad (Part 2, f. 29v-30r)
Unidentified upaniṣad (post-colophon; Part 2, f. 31v).
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Written in 13-16 lines per leaf.
32 leaves foliated 2-3, 1-30, upper left and lower right verso.
Dated śaka 1751 (1829) (f. 30r); this date is not to be confused with the other numbers 18 (part of the verse numbering mistakenly written twice and should be 19) and 86 (related to plava saṃ[vatsare]). These are not directly associated with the former date and should not be understood as śaka 1886 (1964), well after the time the manuscript was purchased and brought into the Penn collection.
Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; metrical accents in red throughout.
- Cited in:
- Listed in H.I. Poleman, Census of Indic Manuscripts in the United States and Canada (New Haven, Conn.: American Oriental Society, 1938), Poleman 466, 484, 501, 577, 596, 663, 685, 733, and 805 (UP 1240).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1240
- Upanishads. Māṇḍūkyopaniṣad.
- Contained In:
- Collection of Indic Manuscripts. Item 1240
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|