Sexual harassment and bullying : a guide to keeping kids safe and holding schools accountable / Susan L. Strauss.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, ©2012.
xii, 290 pages ; 24 cm
Sexual harassment in education.
Bullying -- Prevention.
Sexual harassment -- Prevention.
- Despite headlines that label all harassment among youth as bullying, there is in fact a difference between sexual harassment and bullying. This book discusses the similarities and important differences between the two, offering firsthand accounts from victims and others involved in combating the activities that victimize students. It provides parents, youth advocates, scout leaders, and other concerned adults with practical steps to partner with schools to prevent and intervene on the behaviors to help keep kids safe. The book clearly identifies the steps to take to hold schools accountable when a student has been harassed or bullied, even when the school is not stopping the behavior. Providing examples throughout the work, Strauss helps readers become better acquainted with the various activities that constitute sexual harassment and bullying and what they can do to combat the problem.
- Sexual harassment, Title IX, and the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights
Sexual harassment of elementary and special education students
Harassment of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender students
The difference between sexual harassment and bullying and why it matters
Cyberharassment and cyberbullying
The impact of sexual harassment
Why don't schools stop sexual harassment and bullying?
The causes and contributing factors of sexual harassment
Partnering with schools to keep kids safe
Holding schools accountable
Contact information for Office for Civil Rights, headquarters and county divisions
State-by-state resources for state law and statutes.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 199-249) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Commins-Holman Family Fund.
- Commins-Holman Family Fund.
9781442201620 (cloth : alk. paper)
1442201622 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|