The uses of space in early modern history / edited by Paul Stock.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Palgrave studies in cultural and intellectual history.
Palgrave studies in cultural and intellectual history
xiv, 269 pages ; 23 cm.
- History -- Philosophy.
Historiography -- Philosophy.
History -- Methodology.
Space -- Social aspects -- History.
Spatial behavior -- Social aspects -- History.
Space -- Philosophy.
HISTORY / General.
HISTORY / Study & Teaching.
HISTORY / World.
- "The study of space and place is unquestionably becoming an important research focus in the humanities and social sciences. And while there is an expanding body of theoretical work on the importance of these concepts in various disciplines, less attention has been paid to how spatial ideas and approaches can actually be deployed to understand the societies, cultures, and mentalities of the past. In this volume, leading experts explore the uses of space in two respects: how spatial concepts can be employed by or applied to the study of history, and how spaces and spatial ideas were used for practical and ideological purposes in specific periods. Together, the contributors represent a comprehensive range of disciplines concerned with space and history, including archaeology, social history, intellectual history, imperial history, geography, and cartography, allowing for an unusually broad variety of case studies and perspectives"--Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: History and the Uses of Space / Paul Stock
1. Living Space : Everyday Living in English Vernacular Houses / Matthew Johnson
2. Gender and the Organisation of Sacred Space in Early Modern England, c1580-1640 / Amanda Flather
3. Liminal Space in the Ottoman-Habsburg Borderlands : Politics, Culture, Religion / Claire Norton
4. A Space Between Two Worlds : St. Petersburg in the Early Eighteenth Century / Paul Keenan
5. The Spaces of Science and the Sciences of Space : Geography and Astronomy in the Paris Academy of Sciences / Mike Heffernan
6. The Space between Empires : The Global Phenomenon of Microregions in the Early Nineteenth Century / Lauren Benton and Jeppe Mulich
7. Space, Sympathy, and Empire : Edmund Burke and the Trial of Warren Hastings / Andrew Rudd
8. A Tale of Three Scales : Ways of Malthusian Worldmaking / Robert Mayhew
The Uses of Space in Early Modern History : An Afterword / Beat Komin.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Stock, Paul, editor.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|