Chronicle of separation : on deconstruction's disillusioned love / Michal Ben-Naftali ; translated by Mirjam Hadar.
- Standardized Title:
- Kroniḳah shel peredah. English
- New York : Fordham University Press, 2015. , ©2015
- Idiom: inventing writing theory
xxvii, 199 pages ; 23 cm.
LITERARY CRITICISM / Semiotics & Theory.
PHILOSOPHY / Movements / Deconstruction.
- "The book Chronicle of Separation is an attempt to write on Derrida, to Derrida and from Derrida on the basis of a pathetic experience, which, in various ways, describes and enacts the pathetic experience of deconstruction itself. The book tackles the weight of emotions that is at the heart of deconstructive reading, treating deconstruction's weak, fragile and parasitic mode of thinking as a deconstruction of emotion, on emotion and as emotion. Chronicle of Separation examines these themes beginning with a descriptive and an analytic reading of Derrida's Memoirs: For Paul de Man and The Post Card, as embodiments of deconstruction's melancholic friendship which inscribes its disillusioned love in what it calls the 'postal condition'. The book then moves on to a feminization of Derrida, experimenting in different modes of writing. It firstly discusses Fred Zinneman's film Julia about a mournful friendship between women. Then it performs a deconstructive meditation on the anorexic person suggesting that anorexia constitutes a paradoxical embodiment of deconstruction. The concluding chapter presents a complete incorporation of Derrida into a fictional text that re-writes the biblical Book of Ruth"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note:
Foreword by Avital Ronell
1. From Absolute Love to the Politics of Friendship
2. Let's Show Our (Post) Cards
4. And You Shall Eat and You Shall Be Satisfied and You Shall Be Released: Deconstruction as an Anorexic Perspective
5. The Book of Ruth
Appendix: The Biblical Book of Ruth
- Translated from the Hebrew.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Hadar, Mirjam, translator.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|