Le silence de la mer / Melville Productions ; directed and adapted by Jean-Pierre Melville ; executive producer Marcel Cartier.
- Two-DVD special edition.
- [New York, NY] : The Criterion Collection, 
- Criterion collection; 755.
Criterion collection ; 755
2 videodiscs (approximately 87 minutes) : sound, black & white ; 4 3/4 in. + booklet
4 3/4 in.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground movements -- France -- Drama.
Anti-Nazi movement -- France -- Drama.
France -- History -- German occupation, 1940-1945 -- Drama.
Soldiers -- Billeting -- France -- Drama.
- Feature films.
- In French and German with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC region 1, full screen (1.33:1) presentation; Dolby Digital monaural.
digital optical monaural Dolby Digital 1.0
full screen (1.33:1) 24 fps
video file DVD video Region 1
- 1941. An idealistic, naive German officer in Nazi occupied France is assigned to the home of a middle-aged man and his grown niece. Their response to his presence - their only form of resistance - is complete silence.
- Howard Vernon, Nicole Stéphane, Jean-Marie Robain, Ami Aaroe, Georges Patrix, Denis Saider.
- Director of photography, Henri Decaë ; music, Edgar Bischoff ; production designer, Edmond Vaxelaire.
- Title from disc surface.
From the novel by Vercors (Jean Marcel Bruller).
Originally released as a motion picture in 1949.
Special features: 24 hours in the life of a clown (1946), Melville's seventeen-minute first film; New interview with film scholar Ginette Vincendeau; Code name Melville (2008), a 76-minute documentary on Melville's time in the French Resistance and his films about it; Melville Steps Out of the Shadows (2010), a 42-minute documentary about Le Silence De La Mer; Interview with Melville from 1959; Plus: A booklet with the essay "Stranger in the House" by critic Geoffrey O'Brien and a selection from Rui Nogueira's 1971 book Melville on Melville.
- Melville, Jean-Pierre, 1917-1973, film director, screenwriter, interviewee (expression), Director, Screenwriter, Interviewee, Adapter
Cartier, Marcel, film producer., Producer
Vernon, Howard, actor., Actor
Stéphane, Nicole, 1928- actor., Actor
Robain, Jean-Marie (Actor), actor., Actor
Aaröe, Ami, 1925- actor., Actor
Patrix, Georges, actor., Actor
Saider, Denis, actor., Actor
Decae, Henri, cinematographer., Cinematographer
Bischoff, Edgar, composer (expression), Composer
Vaxalaire, Edmond, production designer.,
Vincendeau, Ginette, 1948- interviewee (expression), Interviewee
O'Brien, Geoffrey, 1948- writer of supplementary textual content., Writer of added text
Melville Productions, production company., Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm), distributor., Distributor
- 24 hours in the life of a clown
Code name Melville
Melville Steps Out of the Shadows
- Publisher Number:
CC2479DDVD The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|