Continental connections : exploring cross-Channel relationships from the Mesolithic to the Iron Age / edited by Hugo Anderson-Whymark, Duncan Garrow and Fraser Sturt.
- Oxford : Oxbow Books, 2015.
172 pages ; 25 cm
- Prehistoric peoples -- Great Britain.
Prehistoric peoples -- Ireland.
Prehistoric peoples -- Europe, Western.
Great Britain -- Relations -- Europe, Western.
Ireland -- Relations -- Europe, Western.
Europe, Western -- Relations -- Great Britain.
Europe, Western -- Relations -- Ireland.
Great Britain -- Antiquities.
Ireland -- Antiquities.
Europe, Western -- Antiquities.
- "The prehistories of Britain and Ireland are inescapably entwined with continental European narratives. The central aim here is to explore 'cross-channel' relationships throughout later prehistory, investigating the archaeological links (material, social, cultural) between the areas we now call Britain and Ireland, and continental Europe, from the Mesolithic through to the end of the Iron Age. In approaching the subject of 'continental connections' in the long-term, and by bringing a variety of different archaeological perspectives (associated with different periods) to bear on it, this volume provides a new a new synthesis of the ebbs and flows of the cross-channel relationship over the course of 15,000 years of later prehistory, enabling fresh understandings and new insights to emerge about the intimately linked trajectories of change in both regions"--Provided by publisher.
- Continental connections : introduction / Duncan Garrow & Fraser Sturt
From sea to land and back again : understanding the shifting character of Europe's landscapes and seascapes over the last million years / Fraser Sturt
Attitudes and latitudes to seafaring in prehistoric Atlantic Europe / Robert Van de Noort
Britain and Ireland inside Mesolithic Europe / Graeme Warren
Seaways and shared ways : imagining and imaging the movement of people, objects and ideas over the course of the Mesolithic-Neolithic transition, c. 5000-3500 BC / Hugo Anderson-Whymark & Duncan Garrow
Parallel lives? : Neolithic funerary monuments and the Channel divide / Chris Scarre
What was and what would never be : changing patterns of interaction and archaeological visibility across North-West Europe from 2500 to 1500 cal. BC / Neil Wilkin & Marc Vander Linden
Rethinking Iron Age connections across the Channel and North Sea / Leo Webley
Connections and separation? : narratives of Iron Age art in Britain and its relationship with the continent / Jody Joy
Continental connections : concluding discussion / Fraser Sturt & Duncan Garrow.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Anderson-Whymark, Hugo, editor.
Garrow, Duncan, editor.
Sturt, Fraser, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Continental connections
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|