Presidential leadership in public opinion : causes and consequences / Jeffrey E. Cohen.
- New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2015.
xii, 212 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Presidents -- United States -- Public opinion.
United States. Congress -- Public opinion.
Political leadership -- United States.
Executive power -- United States.
Public opinion -- United States.
United States. Congress
Presidents -- Public opinion.
- "Although presidents may have a difficult time actually leading the public and Congress, voters still desire strong leadership from their commander in chief. In Presidential Leadership in Public Opinion, Jeffrey E. Cohen argues that the perception of presidential leadership in American politics is affected not so much by what presidents accomplish but by whether voters think their president is a good leader. When assessing whether a president is a good leader, voters ask two questions: Does the president represent me and the nation? And, is the president strong? Cohen shows that presidential interactions with Congress affect voter perceptions of presidential representation and strength. These perceptions have important implications for public attitudes about American politics. They affect presidential approval ratings, the performance of candidates in presidential elections, attitudes toward Congress, and trust in government. Perceptions of presidential leadership qualities have implications not only for the presidency but also for the larger political system"-- Provided by publisher.
- The Many Meanings of Presidential Leadership
Evidence on the Public Demand for Presidential Leadership
Congressional Sources of the President's Leadership Image
Success in Congress and Perceptions of Presidential Strength
Presidential Representation and Public Opinion
Presidential Leadership and Presidential Elections
Perceptions of Presidential Leadership, Trust in Government and Attitudes toward Congress
Presidential Leadership, Public Opinion, and American Democracy.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|