Daughters of the samurai : a journey from East to West and back / Janice P. Nimura.
- First edition.
- New York, N.Y. : W.W. Norton & Company, 
336 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, map, portraits ; 25 cm
- Japanese -- United States -- Biography.
Young women -- United States -- Biography.
Schoolgirls -- United States -- Biography.
Acculturation -- United States -- History.
Young women -- Japan -- Biography.
Samurai -- Family relationships -- History.
Women -- Education -- Japan -- History.
Japan -- Relations -- United States.
United States -- Relations -- Japan.
East and West -- History.
- "In 1871, five young girls were sent by the Japanese government to the United States. Their mission: learn Western ways and return to help nurture a new generation of enlightened men to lead Japan. Raised in traditional samurai households during the turmoil of civil war, three of these unusual ambassadors-- Sutematsu Yamakawa, Shige Nagai, and Ume Tsuda-- grew up as typical American schoolgirls. Upon their arrival in San Francisco they became celebrities, their travels feted by newspapers across the nation. The passionate friendships they formed reveal an intimate world of cross-cultural fascination and connection. Ten years later, they returned to Japan-- a land grown foreign to them-- determined to revolutionize women's education. Based on in-depth archival research in Japan and in the United States, Daughters of the Samurai is beautifully, cinematically written, a fascinating lens through which to view an extraordinary historical moment"--Provided by publisher.
- Samurai daughter
The war of the Year of the Dragon
"A little leaven"
"An expedition of practical observers"
Growing up American
The journey "home"
Getting along alone
Alice in Tokyo
Advances and retreats
The Women's Home School of English
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -320) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Edith E. Clark Endowment Fund.
- Edith E. Clark Endowment Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|