Clouds [electronic resource] ; Wasps ; Peace / Aristophanes ; edited and translated by Jeffrey Henderson.
- Other Title:
- Digital Loeb.
- Cambridge, MA : Harvard University Press, 2014.
- Loeb Classical Library ; 488.
Loeb Classical Library ; 488
1 online resource
- Aristophanes -- Translations into English.
Greek drama (Comedy) -- Translations into English.
- Text in Greek with English translation on facing pages.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Aristophanes (c. 450-c. 386 BCE) has been admired since antiquity for his wit, fantasy, language, and satire. Socrates' "Thinkery" is at the center of Clouds, which spoofs untraditional techniques for educating young men. Wasps satirizes Athenian enthusiasm for jury service. Peace is a rollicking attack on war-makers. Aristophanes of Athens (ca. 446-386 BCE), one of the world's greatest comic dramatists, has been admired since antiquity for his iridescent wit and beguiling fantasy, exuberant language, and brilliant satire of the social, intellectual, and political life of Athens at its height. He wrote at least forty plays, of which eleven have survived complete. In this new Loeb Classical Library edition of Aristophanes, Jeffrey Henderson presents a freshly edited Greek text and a lively, unexpurgated translation with full explanatory notes. Three plays are in Volume II of the new edition. Socrates' "Thinkery" is at the center of Clouds, which spoofs untraditional techniques for educating young men. Wasps satirizes Athenian enthusiasm for jury service and the law courts as well as the city's susceptibility to demagogues. In Peace, a rollicking attack on war-makers, the farmer-hero makes his famous trip to heaven on a dung beetle to discuss the issues with Zeus.
- Includes index.
Description based on print version record.
- Henderson, Jeffrey, 1946- editor, translator.
- Aristophanes, author. Wasps.
Aristophanes. Peace author.
- Other format:
- Print version: Aristophanes. Clouds. Wasps. Peace.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|