Exploring and mapping Alaska : the Russian America era, 1741-1867 / Alexey Postnikov and Marvin Falk ; translated by Lydia Black.
- Standardized Title:
- Russkai︠a︡ Amerika v geograficheskikh opisanii︠a︡kh i na kartakh. English
- Fairbanks : University of Alaska Press, 
- Rasmuson Library translation series ; v. 17.
Historical translation series ; 17 volume
ix, 525 pages : illustrations, maps (some color) ; 26 cm.
- Discoveries in geography -- Russian.
Discoveries in geography -- American.
Cartography -- Alaska -- History.
Russians -- North America -- History.
North America -- Discovery and exploration -- Russian.
Alaska -- Discovery and exploration -- American.
- "Russia first encountered Alaska in 1741 as part of the most ambitious and expensive expedition of the entire eighteenth century. For centuries since, cartographers have struggled to define and develop the enormous region comprising northeastern Asia, the North Pacific, and Alaska. The forces of nature and the follies of human error conspired to make the area incredibly difficult to map. Exploring and Mapping Alaska focuses on this foundational period in Arctic cartography. Russia spurred a golden era of cartographic exploration, while shrouding their efforts in a veil of secrecy. They drew both on old systems developed by early fur traders and new methodologies created in Europe. With Great Britain, France, and Spain following close behind, their expeditions led to an astounding increase in the world's knowledge of North America. Through engrossing descriptions of the explorations and expert navigators, aided by informative illustrations, readers can clearly trace the evolution of the maps of the era, watching as a once-mysterious region came into sharper focus. The result of years of cross-continental research, Exploring and Mapping Alaska is a fascinating study of the trials and triumphs of one of the last great eras of historic mapmaking"-- Provided by publisher.
- Series statement from book jacket.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Dorothy Mann Yeakel & Paul Herbert Yeakel Memorial Fund.
- Falk, Marvin W., 1943- editor.
Dorothy Mann Yeakel & Paul Herbert Yeakel Memorial Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|