Burial service according to the Bagdad rite / edited and translated by W. Hirsch.
- Shanghai : Published by the children of the late Luna Sopher, 1923.
14, 14 pages ; 23 cm
- Jewish funeral rites and ceremonies.
Judaism -- Sephardic rite -- Liturgy -- Texts.
Judaism -- China -- Shanghai -- Liturgy -- Texts.
Prayers for the dead.
Jewish mourning customs.
Hebrew imprints -- China -- Shanghai.
Jewish funeral rites and ceremonies.
China -- Shanghai.
- Local subjects:
- Jewish mourning customs (Jewish law)
- Place of Publication:
- China Shanghai.
- Hebrew and English text on facing pages.
- Pagination from right to left, duplicated on facing pages.
"This volume contains the Bagdad Funeral Rite as was published in Bagdad in 5653 , and which is the adopted burial service of the Far Eastern Sephardi communities. ... The Chinese printer ... had no type for the vowel points, nor understood Hebrew ... This will account for ... errors ..."--Title leaf verso.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Elis & Ruth Douer Endowed Fund.
- Penn Provenance:
- CJS Rare copy sold at auction at Kestenbaum & Company, 25 June 2015, lot 134, sale 65.
- Penn Chronology:
- Hirsch, W. (Woolf)
Elis & Ruth Douer Endowed Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|