Helping children cope with disasters and terrorism [electronic resource] / edited by Annette M. La Greca ... [and others].
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, 2002.
1 online resource
- Psychic trauma in children.
Disasters -- Psychological aspects.
Terrorism -- Psychological aspects.
- Medical subjects:
- Wounds and Injuries -- child.
Terrorism -- psychology.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- School shootings. Devastating earthquakes. Severe floods. Deadly motor vehicle crashes. Terrorist attacks. Many communities and individuals endure these and other extraordinary experiences so horrifying in their effects that we call them disasters. Furthermore, the events of September 11, 2001 highlighted the realities of terrorism for most Americans and underscored the importance of understanding how children and adolescents react to disasters and terrorism. The publication of this volume is especially timely given that the tragedies of September 2001 and subsequent events are still too recent to have yielded an empirical perspective on their impact on children, adolescents, and families. This volume reviews the current state of knowledge regarding children's reactions to disaster and terrorism, and provides the background and conceptualization needed for framing mental health interventions and future research efforts. This volume has two purposes. The first is to provide a systematic review of children's and adolescents' reactions to specific disasters and the factors that contribute to those reactions. The second is to review the current state of interventions that have been developed to address children's and adolescents' mental health needs following disasters. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2004 APA, all rights reserved)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2002. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2002 dcunns.
- La Greca, Annette M. (Annette Marie)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|