Stereotype accuracy [electronic resource] : toward appreciating group differences / edited by Yueh-Ting Lee, Lee J. Jussim, and Clark R. McCauley.
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- 1st ed.
- Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, c1995.
- Conference Name:
- Stereotype Accuracy Conference (Bryn Mawr College)
- APA science volumes
APA science volumes
1 online resource
- Stereotype (Psychology) -- Congresses.
- Medical subjects:
- Stereotyped Behavior -- congresses.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- What do people from South America usually assume about doing business with North Americans, and vice versa? How do these stereotypes influence their perceptions of one another? Are teacher expectations biased by students' gender, social class, or ethnicity? Are attractive people assumed to be more or less intelligent than others? Understanding the nature of stereotyping is crucial in answering questions like these and in advancing social psychology and its applications, such as improving intergroup relations. This book challenges conventional thinking that stereotypes are always inaccurate, exaggerated, and generally destructive by looking at stereotyping empirically. The chapters provide insights into how stereotyping may help us manage information without necessarily being destructive. They also unearth the complex cognitive and attitudinal processes that underlie stereotyping, so we may harness these processes to better understand group differences and to promote greater respect for those we see as different from ourselves. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2004 APA, all rights reserved)
- Papers originally presented at the Stereotype Accuracy Conference held at Bryn Mawr College.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2003. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2003 dcunns.
- Lee, Yueh-Ting.
Jussim, Lee J.
McCauley, Clark R.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|