Understanding depression in women [electronic resource] : applying empirical research to practice and policy / edited by Carolyn M. Mazure and Gwendolyn Puryear Keita.
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- 1st ed.
- Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, c2006.
1 online resource
- Depression in women.
- Medical subjects:
- Depressive Disorder.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "Women are more likely to experience depression than are men, and depression is the leading cause of disability for women throughout the world. In this book, editors Carolyn M. Mazure and Gwendolyn Puryear Keita survey the research of experts in depression and explore the latest literature on treatment, prevention, and service delivery. Several findings are revealed: those who develop major depression in pregnancy are more likely to have recurrent episodes in the next 5 years; prevention efforts for adolescents that are focused on social problem solving and coping strategies significantly lower the risk of developing major depression; interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT) has recently been adapted to treat depressed women during pregnancy and postpartum, and group interventions based on IPT were found to be effective in preventing postpartum depression onset in a sample of at-risk women; the common notion that most women develop major depressive disorder after menopause is not well supported, but there is evidence suggesting greater risk during the perimenopausal transition; and some unconventional treatments, like yoga and acupuncture, show promise as alternative or complementary treatments for depression and its long-term management. The book, drawing from the work of over 40 top experts in the field, will influence the work of researchers, practitioners, and policymakers for years to come"--Jacket. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2006 APA, all rights reserved)
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2005. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2005 dcunns.
- Mazure, Carolyn M.
Keita, Gwendolyn Puryear.
- Other format:
- 159147406X (print)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|