Inclusive cultural empathy [electronic resource] : making relationships central in counseling and psychotherapy / Paul B. Pedersen, Hugh C. Crethar, Jon Carlson.
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- 1st ed.
- Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, c2008.
1 online resource
- Cross-cultural counseling.
Counselor and client.
Therapist and patient.
- Medical subjects:
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "Inclusive cultural empathy is a lens through which helping professionals can view themselves, their clients, and the very construct of the helping relationship. Empathy, as defined in the Western context, takes for granted an individualistic interpretation of human desires, pain, and reasons for seeking help. This book shows readers how to reach beyond the comfort zone of an individualistic perspective and increase their competence in a relationship-centered context. The authors, weave their own layered multicultural experiences with procedural, theoretical, and practical lessons to bring readers a model for how they might infuse their own clinical work with inclusive principles and multicultural sensitivity. The authors present a broad definition of culture--to include nationality, ethnicity, language, age, gender, socioeconomic status, family roles, and other affiliations--and engage the reader with lively examples and exercises that can be adapted for classroom, supervision groups, or individual use. Readers will learn how to help clients explore, discover, and leverage those internalized voices of the "culture teachers" that instruct us in who we are, how to behave, and how to resolve our problems or find life balance"--Jacket. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2008 APA, all rights reserved)
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 255-276) and indexes.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2005. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2005 dcunns.
- Crethar, Hugh C.
- Other format:
- 9780979212512 (print ed.)
0979212510 (print ed.)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|