Transcending self-interest [electronic resource] : psychological explorations of the quiet ego / edited by Heidi A. Wayment, Jack J. Bauer.
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- 1st ed.
- Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, c2008.
- Conference Name:
- Quiet Ego Conference (1st : 2005 : Northern Arizona University)
- Decade of behavior
Decade of behavior
1 online resource
- Egoism -- Congresses.
Self-interest -- Congresses.
Self -- Congresses.
- Medical subjects:
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "For decades social scientists have observed that Americans are becoming more selfish, headstrong, and callous. Instead of lamenting a cultural slide toward narcissism, Transcending Self-Interest: Psychological Explorations of the Quiet Ego provides a constructive framework for understanding--and conducting research on--both the problems of egocentrism and the ways of transcending it. Heidi A. Wayment and Jack J. Bauer have assembled a group of contributors who are helping to reshape how the field of psychology defines the self in the 21st century. In the spirit of positive psychology, these authors call us to move beyond individualistic and pathological notions of self versus other. Their theories and research suggest two paths to this transcendence: (a) balancing the needs of self and others in one's everyday life and (b) developing compassion, nondefensive self-awareness, and interdependent self-identity. At the end of these converging paths lies a quiet ego--an ego less concerned with self-promotion than with the flourishing of both the self and others. Readers will find in this volume inspiration not only for future work in psychology but also for their own efforts toward personal development"--Jacket. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2008 APA, all rights reserved).
- Includes indexes.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2009. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2009 dcunns
- Wayment, Heidi A.
Bauer, Jack J.
- Other format:
- 9781433803406 (print ed.)
1433803402 (print ed.)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|