Manual of empirical psychology as an inductive science, a textbook for high schools and colleges [electronic resource].
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- Boston, Mass. : D.C. Health and Company, Publishers, 1896.
1 online resource
- Medical subjects:
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "As I offer these pages,--the result of many years of study and pedagogical observation,--to the judgment of the public, as well as to the appropriate regard of a royal educational department, I regard it my duty to say but little concerning the purpose and plan of the same. The motive to the preparation and publication of this volume was a double one. The first was the experience, to me sufficiently clear, that the existing psychological text-books, however valuable they may be, leave much to be desired in regard to comprehensibility and incitation to original thought. An attempt to remedy these lacks would, therefore, appear desirable. The second motive was the conviction that in empirical psychology one can and should have regard to those real explanations which lie in the facts and which can be derived without metaphysical exposition; and, further, that one has no reason whatever to limit himself to mere verbal explanations--for what else does the old doctrine of the so-called faculties offer? The book is, above all, a manual of instruction, and should be regarded as such. It was, therefore, the comprehensibility of expression to which I felt obliged to direct my most careful attention, all the more because I am convinced that the most abstract truths may be clothed in simple words just as far as they have been clearly thought, and that true scientific treatment is injured by nothing more than by ingenious pomposity of words, and by phrases behind which stands no thought"--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2008 APA, all rights reserved).
- Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2010. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2010 dcunns
- De Garmo Charles, 1849-1934.
- Other format:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|