The nature and treatment of mental disorders [electronic resource] / by Dom Thomas Verner Moore ... ; foreword by Edward A. Strecker ...
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- New York : Grune and Stratton, 1943.
1 online resource
- Psychology, Pathological.
- Medical subjects:
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "The present work is an attempt to make a contribution to the understanding of mental disorders and to illustrate a wide variety of techniques in dealing with the many and varied problems with which the psychiatrist is confronted. Understanding the nature of mental disorders demands a sound psychology and psychopathology, much in the same way as insight into somatic disease depends on a knowledge of physiology and pathology. The authors have therefore attempted to outline, criticize, and supplement classic theories of psychopathology and to make use of these theories in order to throw light on the nature of mental disorders. An attempt has also been made to evaluate modern studies of the emotions, not only to give an insight into a whole group of affective mental disorders, but also to find a pharmacological method of treating these "physiological emotional" conditions. The techniques of therapy illustrated are fairly numerous and divergent. They descend from what is really an application of psychoanalytic techniques to trivialities the only excuse for mention of which is that they may be, on occasion, suggestive and helpful. The work grows out of personal experience in a long series of attempts to help human beings in mental difficulty. The techniques of therapy are illustrated by cases with a more or less successful issue, not by any means because all or most psychotherapeutic attempts have a successful ending, but in the hope that therapy which as a matter of fact terminated successfully is likely to be more free from blundering than that which ended in failure. The procedures are, however, given at times in such detail that those with experience will be able to point out the author's blunders as reefs for the student to beware of in his attempts to treat the disorders of the mind"--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2010 APA, all rights reserved).
- Includes indexes.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2011. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2011 dcunns
- Other format:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|