Outwitting the Hun [electronic resource] : my escape from a German prison camp / by Pat O'Brien.
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- New York ; London : Harper and Brothers, [c1918]
1 online resource
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Prisoners and prisons, German.
- Medical subjects:
- World War I.
Prisons -- Germany.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "There is a common idea that the age of miracles is past. Perhaps it is, but if so, the change must have come about within the past few weeks--after I escaped into Holland. For if anything is certain in this life it is this: this book never would have been written but for the succession of miracles set forth in these pages. Miracles, luck, coincidence, Providence--it doesn't matter much what you call it--certainly played an important part in the series of hairbreadth escapes in which I figured during my short but eventful appearance in the great drama now being enacted across the seas. Without it, all my efforts and sufferings would have been quite unavailing. But this same Providence which brought me home safely, despite all the dangers which beset me, may work similar miracles for others, and it is in the hope of encouraging other poor devils who may find themselves in situations as hopeless apparently as mine oftentimes were that this book is written. When this cruel war is over--which I trust may be sooner than I expect it to be--I hope I shall have an opportunity to revisit the scenes of my adventures and to thank in person in an adequate manner every one who extended a helping hand to me when I was a wretched fugitive. All of them took great risks in befriending an escaped prisoner, and they did it without the slightest hope of reward. At the same time I hope I shall have a chance to pay my compliments to those who endeavored to take advantage of my distress"--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2010 APA, all rights reserved).
- Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2012. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2012 dcunns
- Other format:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|