Preventing partner violence [electronic resource] : research and evidence-based intervention strategies / edited by Daniel J. Whitaker and John R. Lutzker.
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- 1st ed.
- Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, c2009.
1 online resource
- Marital violence -- Prevention.
Family violence -- Prevention.
Child abuse -- Prevention.
Dating violence -- Prevention.
Psychological abuse -- Prevention.
- Medical subjects:
- Domestic Violence.
Child Abuse -- prevention & control.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "In the past 30 years, the study of intimate partner violence (IPV) has advanced considerably. Previously, IPV was conceptualized narrowly as male physical violence against women arising from a need for dominance. Now, experts assert that a variety of factors are associated with IPV and that IPV takes many forms--from verbal abuse or slapping to highly violent physical abuse or rape. In addition, research shows that women are often the perpetrators of IPV. As a result, IPV interventions have shifted over time from gender-focused interventions to gender-neutral interventions, with an emphasis on empirical evidence. This book presents a comprehensive overview of the most up-to-date research on IPV. Leading experts in the field cover a large range of topics, including theory, health effects, surveillance, prevention, and intervention. Emphasis is placed on understanding the development of IPV perpetration by itself and in the context of various risk factors. Above all, the book demonstrates the complexity of IPV and the importance of taking an empirical approach to prevention and treatment. This book will be of use to every IPV researcher and intervention provider. In addition, readers from the related fields of social work, criminal justice, victims' rights, public health, nursing, medicine, and public policy will benefit from this collection"--Jacket. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2009 APA, all rights reserved).
- Introduction / Daniel J. Whitaker and John R. Lutzker
Definitions, surveillance systems, and the prevalence and incidence of intimate partner violence in the United States / Sherry Lipsky and Raul Caetano
Theoretical approaches to the etiology of partner violence / Erica M. Woodin and K. Daniel O'Leary
Risk factors associated with intimate partner violence / Sandra M. Stith and Catherine L. McMonigle
The association between partner violence and child maltreatment : a common conceptual framework / Deborah M. Capaldi, Hyoun K. Kim, and Katherine C. Pears
Health effects of partner violence : aiming toward prevention / Jacquelyn C. Campbell ... [and others]
Prevention and intervention
Primary prevention of adolescent dating abuse perpetration : when to begin, whom to target, and how to do it / Vangie A. Foshee and Heathe Luz McNaughton Reyes
Advancing interventions for perpetrators of physical partner violence : batterer prevention programs and beyond / Daniel J. Whitaker and Phyllis Holditch Niolon
Expanding our vision : using a human rights framework to strengthen our service response to female victims of male intimate partner violence / Nancy Glass, Chiquita Rollins, and Tina Bloom
Criminal justice responses to partner violence : history, evaluation, and lessons learned / N. Zoe Hilton and Grant T. Harris
Gender symmetry in partner violence : evidence and implications for prevention and treatment / Murray A. Straus
Future directions in preventing partner violence / Daniel J. Whitaker and John R. Lutzker.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2010. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2010 dcunns
- Whitaker, Daniel J.
Lutzker, John R., 1947-
- Other format:
- 9781433804342 (print ed.)
1433804344 (print ed.)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|