The Americans [electronic resource] / by Hugo Münsterberg ; translator by Edwin B. Holt.
- Standardized Title:
- Amerikaner. English
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- New York : McClure, Phillips and Company, 1905.
1 online resource
- National characteristics, American.
United States -- Social life and customs -- 1865-1918.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1901-1909.
United States -- Economic conditions -- 1865-1918.
United States -- Intellectual life -- 1865-1918.
- Medical subjects:
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "In the Preface to my "American Traits," in which I defended German ideals and criticised some American tendencies, I said, some years ago: "It has been often questioned whether I am right in fighting merely against American shortcomings from a German point of view, and in trying to destroy prejudices on this side of the water; whether it is not, in a still higher degree, my duty to attempt the same for the other side;--for German prejudices concerning the United States are certainly not less severe, and the points in which Germany might learn from American culture not less numerous. The question is fair, and I shall soon put before the German public a book on American life--a book which deals in a detailed way with the political, economic, intellectual, and social aspects of American culture. Its purpose is to interpret systematically the democratic ideals of America." Here is the book; it fulfils the promise, and it might appear that no further explanation is needed. And yet, in sending a book into the world, I have never felt more strongly the need of prefatory excuses--excuses not for writing the book, but for agreeing to its translation into English"--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2010 APA, all rights reserved).
- On verso of t.-p.: Published November, 1904. N. Third impression.
Reprint of 1904.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2012. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2012 dcunns
- Holt, Edwin B. (Edwin Bissell), 1873-1946.
- Other format:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|