History of psychotherapy [electronic resource] : continuity and change / edited by John C. Norcross, Gary R. VandenBos, and Donald K. Freedheim.
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- 2nd ed.
- Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, c2011.
1 online resource
- Psychotherapy -- United States -- History.
Psychotherapy -- History.
- Medical subjects:
- Psychotherapy -- history.
History, 19th Century.
History, 20th Century.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "The book begins with two chapters devoted to the broad historical outlines of the field from 1860 to the present. Thereafter, the book is divided into four major areas: theory, research, practice, and training. Each chapter therein highlights historical roots, current manifestations, and future directions. To end the volume, we briefly speculate on the future of psychotherapy. So much has transpired in the field since the first edition that we had to carefully pick and choose what to include and what to leave for another project. The result is both a continuation of topics included in the first edition and the addition of areas barely suggested in the earlier book. We commissioned entirely new chapters on multicultural theories, psychotherapy with adolescents, psychotherapy with health conditions, couples therapy, integration of spirituality and religion into psychotherapy, and pharmacotherapy. Twenty years ago few would have predicted the routine use of medications with psychotherapy (combined treatment) or the idea that psychologists would prescribe psychoactive medications to their clients. We also added an entirely new section on psychotherapy for specific disorders: depression, anxiety, substance abuse, borderline personality disorders, and psychosis. The section on psychotherapy education and training has been overhauled to address licensing and credentialing, continuing education, psychotherapy supervision, and psychotherapy ethics. In addition to students, the second edition will prove of interest to psychotherapy practitioners, educators, and researchers who seek to understand the historical roots and current state of the art and science of psychotherapy. We hope this volume will advance the field's understanding of how it arrived at where it is today. In the words of William Faulkner, another great psychologist, 'The past is not dead. In fact, it is not even past.'"--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2011 APA, all rights reserved).
- A century of psychotherapy, 1860-1960 / Robin L. Cautin
Psychotherapy, 1960 to the present / Patrick H. DeLeon ... [and others]
Psychoanalytic theories of psychotherapy / David L. Wolitzky
Behavioral theories of psychotherapy / Daniel B. Fishman, Simon A. Rego, and Katherine L. Muller
Humanistic and experiential theories of psychotherapy / Jeanne C. Watson, Rhonda N. Goldman, a d Leslie S. Greenberg
Family systems theories of psychotherapy / David R. Chabot
Cognitive theories of psychotherapy / Steven D. Hollon and Raymond DiGiuseppe
Multicultural approaches to psychotherapy / Lillian Comas-Díaz
Integrative approaches to psychotherapy / Marvin R. Goldfried, Carol R. Glass, and Diane B. Arnkoff
Psychotherapy research and its achievements / Michael J. Lambert
Unresolved questions and future directions in psychotherapy research / Bruce E. Wampold, Steven D. Hollon, and Clara E. Hill
Psychotherapy research centers and groups / Judith V. Jordan ... [and others]
Psychotherapy patients / Eugene J. D'Angelo ... [and others]
Treatment modalities / Alan S. gurman ... [and others]
Psychotherapy for specific disorders / Lynn P. Rehm ... [and others]
Training systems and sites / Elizabeth A. Klonoff ... [and others]
Psychotherapy supervision / Allen K. Hess
Ethics in psychotherapy / Norman Abeles and Gerald P. Koocher
Into the future : retrospect and prospect in psychotherapy / John C. Norcross, Donald K. Freedheim, and Gary R. VandenBos.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2011. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2011 dcunns
- Norcross, John C., 1957-
VandenBos, Gary R.
Freedheim, Donald K.
American Psychological Association.
- Other format:
- 9781433807626 (print ed.)
1433807629 (print ed.)
1433807637 (electronic bk.)
9781433807633 (electronic bk.)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|