Social anxiety in adolescents and young adults [electronic resource] : translating developmental science into practice / edited by Candice A. Alfano and Deborah C. Beidel.
- Other Title:
- APA PsycBOOKS.
- 1st ed.
- Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, c2011.
1 online resource
- Anxiety in adolescence.
Social phobia in adolescence.
Young adults -- Psychology.
- Medical subjects:
- Phobic Disorders.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "The concept of social fear dates back to the time of Hippocrates, and the existence of a condition characterized by excessive shyness, social withdrawal, and symptoms of autonomic arousal has long been noted in the psychiatric literature. Although the specific constellation of symptoms that defines this condition has remained largely consistent over the course of more than 100 years, current understanding of the mechanisms that underlie social neurosis has evolved significantly. Today, social anxiety disorder (SAD) affects up to 15% of children, adolescents, and adults (Ruscio et al, 2008; Wittchen, Stein, & Kessler, 1999). Although SAD exists across the life span, the average age of onset is during mid-adolescence; it commonly remains undiagnosed until late adolescence or early adulthood. What is it, then, about this particular developmental stage that seems to be the critical period for onset of this debilitating disorder? This question represents the central query of this book. Although several other volumes have described the etiology, presentation, and treatment of SAD, most have limited their focus to adults, with little more than simple reference to the fact that the disorder is most likely to begin during the teenage years. Because the vast majority of research to date has been conducted among socially anxious adults, such decisions were most certainly reasonable. Within the past decade, however, research has expanded not only to include social anxiety in adolescents and young adults but in many cases to focus exclusively on this age group. The result is an ever-growing body of developmental research in need of both integration and clinical interpretation. The material in this book is, therefore, aimed at researchers and clinicians alike because both groups are confronted with the challenge of keeping abreast of these emergent findings"--Introduction. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2011 APA, all rights reserved).
- Introduction / Candica A. Alfano, Deborah C. Beidel
Overview of social anxiety disorder in adolescents and young adults
Clinical presentation of social anxiety disorder in adolescents and young adults / Franklin Mesa, Melissa M. Nieves, Deborah C. Beidel
The etiology of social anxiety disorder in adolescents and young adults / Charmaine K. Higa-McMillan, Chad Ebesutani
Neurodevelopmental aspects of social anxiety / Roxann Roberson-Nay, Ruth C. Brown
Individual differences, contexts, and influences of social anxiety in young people
Social anxiety and depression : the teenage and early adult years / Lisa R. Starr, ... [and others]
Dating, romantic relationships and social anxiety in young people / Annette La Greca ... [and others]
Alcohol and drug use in socially anxious young adults / Rachel D. Thompson, Abigail A. Goldsmith, Giao Q. Tran
Social and performance anxiety and oppositional and school refusal behavior in adolescents / Christopher A. Kearney ... [and others]
Peer relations and victimization in adolescents with social anxiety disorder / Bridget K. Biggs, Marilyn L. Sampilo, Megan N. McFadden
Social anxiety among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender adolescents and young adults / Karen E. Roberts, Danielle Schwartz, Trevor A. Hart
Social anxiety in adolescents on the autism spectrum / Susan W. White, Amie R. Schry
Cultural influences on social anxiety in African American, Hispanic and Latino, and Native American adolescents and young adults / Argero A. Zerr, Lindsay E. Holly, Armando A. Pina
Assessment and treatment of social anxiety disorder
Assessment of social anxiety / Andres De Los Reyes, Courtney P. Keeton
Behavioral and cognitive behavioral treatments for social anxiety disorder in adolescents and young adults / Kerri L. Kim, Adair F. Parr, Candice A. Alfano
Pharmacotherapy of social anxiety disorder in adolescents and young adults / L.N. Ravindran, M.B. Stein
Adapting treatment of social anxiety disorder for delivery in schools : a school-based intervention for adolescents / Carrie Masia-Warner ... [and others].
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2012. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2012 dcunns
- Alfano, Candice A.
Beidel, Deborah C.
- Other format:
- 9781433809484 (print ed.)
1433809486 (print ed.)
9781433809491 (electronic bk.)
1433809494 (electronic bk.)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|