An outline study of man, or, The body and mind in one system [electronic resource] / Mark Hopkins.
- Other Title:
- Outline study of man
Body and mind in one system
- New York, N.Y. : Charles Scribner's Sons, 1885.
1 online resource
Mind and body.
- Medical subjects:
Mind-Body Relations, Metaphysical.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "The substance of the lectures was preserved in a phonographic report. This, it was found, would be of so much aid in writing them out that the form of lectures and the phraseology appropriate to them have been retained, though the references to the board were so many and of such a character that a recast of many portions has been found necessary. As read, the lectures would scarcely convey a correct impression of the extent to which the board was used. The method of teaching an abstract subject other than Mathematics through the eye has long been practiced in Logic, but until recently has been chiefly confined to that. So far as I know, the first to apply it generally and with success was my friend Mr. Dickinson of the Westfield Normal School. This is not object-teaching. That consists in showing the object itself, but this is the teaching of relations, which are invisible, by means of things that are visible. This facilitates the holding of abstract subjects steadily before the mind, and I cannot but hope a good deal from it in the way of popularizing studies of this kind. I shall be content if this work shall awaken in the community a wider interest in the study of man,--of man in his unity so marvellously complex, as he is related to the universe around him, to his fellow-men, and to God"--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved).
- Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2012. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement. s2012 dcunns
- Other format:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|