Revelation : a new translation with introduction and commentary / Craig R. Koester.
- Standardized Title:
- Bible. Revelation. English. Koester. 2014.
- New Haven : Yale University Press,  , ©2014
- Bible. English. Anchor Yale Bible. 2008 ; v. 38A.
The Anchor Yale Bible ; volume 38A
xlii, 881 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
- Bible. Revelation. -- Commentaries.
Bibel Offenbarung des Johannes.
RELIGION / Biblical Commentary / New Testament.
- "In this landmark commentary, Craig R. Koester offers a comprehensive look at a powerful and controversial early Christian text, the book of Revelation. The author provides richly textured descriptions of the book's setting and language, making extensive use of Greek and Latin inscriptions, classical texts, and ancient Jewish writings, including the Dead Sea Scrolls. Rather than viewing Revelation as world-negating, Koester focuses on its deep engagement with social, religious, and economic issues while addressing the book's volatile history of interpretation. The result is a groundbreaking study that provides bold new insights and sets new directions for the continued appreciation of this text." -- Publisher's website.
- Secondary sources
Greek and Latin authors
Jewish and early Christian texts
Inscriptions and papyri
Revelation : a translation
I. History of interpretation and influence
II. Historical issues
III. Social setting of Revelation
IV. Literary aspects
V. Rhetorical aspects
VI. Text of Revelation
Notes and comments
I. Title and introduction to the book
II. First cycle : Christ and the seven assemblies (1:9-3:22)
III. Second cycle : the seven seals (4:1-8:5)
IV. Third cycle : the seven trumpets (8:6-11:18)
V. Fourth cycle : the dragon, the beasts, and the faithful (11:19-15:4)
VI. Fifth cycle : the seven bowls and the fall of Babylon (15:5-19:10)
VII. Sixth cycle : from the beast's demise to new Jerusalem (19:11-22:5)
VII. Conclusion to the book
Index of modern authors
Index of subjects.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Koester, Craig R., 1953- translator, writer of added commentary.
- 9780300144888 (alk. paper)
0300144881 (alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|