Becoming a man in Melanesia [electronic resource].
- Other records:
- Paris, France : ZED, 2003.
- Becoming a man
Ethnographic video online, volume 2
1 online resource (52 min.).
- Coming of age -- Melanesia.
Men -- Melanesia.
Initiation rites -- Melanesia.
- Ethnographic films.
- This edition in English.
- Becoming a Man in Melanesia follows the epic ordeals of two young men who live on separate islands. And though they will never meet each other, they share a common, singular goal : to make the difficult passage into manhood. Each will face a grueling initiation ritual. To achieve this adult status in Melanesia, Junior from Kontu island in Papua has to capture a shark armed only with a lasso and a propeller, whereas Wabak from Pentecost island in Vanuatu has to jump from a wooden tower, his ankle bound with thick vines. Two ordeals, each with the same goal : becoming a man!.
- Title from title frames (Ethnographic video online, viewed Feb. 27, 2013).
Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2012. (Ethnographic video online). Available via World Wide Web.
- Seþgur, Jeþrôme. , Director
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|