The Makishi masquerade [electronic resource].
- Other records:
- Paris, France : ZED, 2006.
- Ethnographic video online, volume 2
1 online resource (65 min.).
- Coming of age -- Zambia.
Intitiation rites -- Zambia.
Festivals -- Zambia.
Zambia -- Rites and ceremonies.
- Ethnographic films.
- This edition in English.
- Every April, in Zambia, the Makishi demons come to take away young boys. This event celebrates the beginning of the initiation from adolescence to manhood. In the village of Kashushu, this Mukanda ceremony is 500 years old and has been passed down orally for generations. Patrick, the main organizer this year, has to raise money for costumes, food and for the 4 months of initiation. But the celebration is so expensive that Patrick struggles to meet both ends. He fears for the future of the Mukanda, and without the help of an organization like UNESCO, it will certainly disappear.
- Title from title frames (Ethnographic video online, viewed Feb. 27, 2013).
Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2012. (Ethnographic video online). Available via World Wide Web.
- Seþgur, Jeþrôme. , Director, Narrator
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|