The ladies room [electronic resource] / directed by Mahnaz Afzali.
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- The ladies
- Iran : Iranian Independents, 2003.
- Ethnographic video online, volume 2
1 online resource (55 min.).
- Women -- Iran.
Women -- Iran -- Social conditions.
Women -- Iran -- Social life and customs.
Feminism -- Iran.
Muslim women -- Iran.
Iran -- Social conditions -- 1997-.
- Ethnographic films.
- This edition in Farsi, western (Persian) with English subtitles.
- Filmed in a woman's restroom located in a public park in Iran's metropolitan center of Tehran, this documentary explodes Western stereotyping of women in Iran. The elder who runs the washroom offers a shoulder to cry on or tough love in a place where women, many of them especially marginalized because they are prostitutes, addicts or runaways, feel safe enough to remove their veils, and draw on cigarettes and their opinions on a wide range of subjects that men cannot hear them speaking about: sex, family abuse, relationships, drugs, religion and self-mutilation. The director (and admired actress) supplies the audience with an unflinching, detailed examination of the lives of the women who use the restroom as a gathering place. Mary Kerr, Programming Director of Silverdocs, highly praises the way private conversations establish community: "Never before have I been so surprised by a film's candor and honesty. The Ladies' Room is an amazing testament to Mahnaz Afzali's restraint as a filmmaker as she steps into the background and lets these women, who are second-class citizens in Iran, be themselves - totally unrestrained and surprisingly progressive." Awards/Festivals: Amsterdam International Documentary Film Festival 2003; Thessaloniki Documentary Festival 2004; Vienna International Film Festival 2004; Adelaide Film Festival 2005.
- Title from title frames (Ethnographic video online, viewed Feb. 6, 2014).
Recorded in Tehran, Iran.
Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2014. (Ethnographic video online, volume 2). Available via World Wide Web.
- Afzali, Mahnaz, 1964- , Director
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|