Rasinah [electronic resource] : the enchanted mask / directed by Rhoda Grauer and produced by Shanty Harmayn.
- Other records:
- New York, NY : Filmakers Library, 2006.
- Ethnographic video online, volume 1
1 online resource (53 min.).
- Topeng (Dance)
- Ethnographic films.
- This edition in Javanese with English subtitles.
- Watching the lithe, expressive movements of Javanese masked dancer Rasinah, one would never believe a 72-year old woman is behind the mask! She is a master of an ancient form of mask dance called Topeng Cirebon, which originated in West Java, Indonesia. Rooted in Islamic mysticism, the spiritual significance of the masks and dances was restricted to "specialist families," who for centuries passed on their unique heritage from generation to generation. By the late 1900s the popularity of Topeng Cirebon had faded -- its mystical masters forgotten. Once one of the most popular of the Topeng artists, Rasinah had been reduced to poverty as the taste for this traditional art form waned. Two young men became enraptured by tales of a hidden national treasure living in a remote village. They set out to find Rasinah to rescue her dance from extinction. Not having danced in twenty years and afraid that she was now too old, she hesitates. But once she holds the mask, her body moves again like a young dancer and she is off on an incredible journey of renewal. The film captures ancient rituals, spirit-infested graveyards, and enchanted masks. Fortunately, Rasinah's granddaughter, Erli, is able to carry on the age-old tradition. This colorful documentary shows the history, function and meaning of these masked dances.
- Originally released as DVD.
Title from title frames (Ethnographic video online, viewedMay 24, 2011).
Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2012. (Ethnographic video online). Available via World Wide Web.
- Harmayn, Shanty.
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|