Empire : a novel / Gore Vidal.
- [1998 Modern Library ed.]
- New York : Modern Library, .
xii, , 651,  pages ; 20 cm
- Hearst, William Randolph, 1863-1951 -- Fiction.
Bryan, William Jennings, 1860-1925 -- Fiction.
Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 -- Fiction.
McKinley, William, 1843-1901 -- Fiction.
James, Henry, 1843-1916 -- Fiction.
Newspaper publishing -- Washington (D.C.) -- Fiction.
United States -- History -- 1901-1909 -- Fiction.
Bryan, William Jennings, 1860-1925.
Hearst, William Randolph, 1863-1951.
James, Henry, 1843-1916.
McKinley, William, 1843-1901.
Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- "Empire, the fourth novel in Gore Vidal's monumental six-volume chronicle of the American past, is his prodigiously detailed portrait of the United States at the dawn of the twentieth century as it begins to emerge as a world power." "While America struggles to define its destiny, beautiful and ambitious Caroline Sanford fights to control her own fate. From the back offices of her Washington newspaper, Caroline confronts the two men who threaten to thwart her ambition: William Randolph Hearst and his protege, Blaise Sanford, Caroline's half brother. In their struggles for power the lives of brother and sister become intertwined with those of Presidents McKinley and Roosevelt, as well as Astors, Vanderbilts, and Whitneys - all incarnations of America's Gilded Age."--Jacket.
- "Originally published by Random House, Inc., in 1987."
Contains new introduction (p. [ix]-xii) by the author.
"The principal text of this Modern Library edition was set in a digitized version of Janson, a typeface that dates from about 1690 and was cut by Nicholas Kis, a Hungarian working in Amsterdam."
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copies 1-3 have dustjacket retained.
Gotham Book Mart Collection copies 2 & 3 signed by the author.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copies 1-3)
Vidal, Gore, 1925-2012 (autograph) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copies 2 & 3)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0679602933 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|