Vratārkānukrama, 1844. = व्रतार्कानुक्रम, १८४४.
- Standardized Title:
1 item (407 leaves) : paper ; 14 x 29 cm.
Sin -- Hinduism.
Rites and ceremonies -- India.
Siva (Hindu deity).
Gaṇeśa (Hindu deity).
Vishnu (Hindu deity).
Bathing customs -- India.
Blessing and cursing -- India.
Manuals (instructional materials)
Manuscripts, Sanskrit -- 19th century.
Manuscripts -- India -- 19th century.
- In Sanskrit (Devanāgarī)
- Compendium of sections taken from different purāṇas on dharma, methods of worship, and various rites observances (vrata); possibly by Śaṅkarabhaṭṭa (Son of Nīlakaṇṭha). Rites include the removal of sin, praise of various Hindu deities such as the elephant-headed Gaṇeśa or Śiva, bathing, women's rites to avert evil, and purifying bodily fluids. Works contained in the manuscript include the Caturthīvrata of the Vāmanapurāṇa, the Caturthīvrata of the Upāsanākhaṇḍa in the Gaṇeśapurāṇa, the Aduḥkhanavamīvratakathā of the Skandapurāṇa, the Śanipradoṣavratakathā of the Brahmapurāṇa, Vratodyāpana of the Śivarahasya, and the Malamālamāsavratodyāpana of the Bhaviṣyottarapurāṇa.
- Title from colophon (f. 407v).
Written in 11 lines per leaf.
407 leaves foliated 1-407, upper left and lower right verso.
Colophon: iti vratārkānukramasaṃpūrṇaḥ // (f. 407v).
Date śaka 1766 (1844) (f. 1r).
Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with triple red line.
- Cited in:
- Listed in H.I. Poleman, Census of Indic Manuscripts in the United States and Canada (New Haven, Conn.: American Oriental Society, 1938), Poleman 2963 (UP 1616).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1616.
- Contained In:
- Collection of Indic Manuscripts. Item 1616
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|