Breaker Morant / South Australian Film Corporation presents ; screenplay by Jonathan Hardy, David Stevens, Bruce Beresford ; produced by Matthew Carroll ; directed by Bruce Beresford ; made with the assistance of the Australian Film Commission, the 7 Network and Pact Productions Pty. Ltd.
- Director-approved two-DVD special edition.
- [Irvington, New York] : The Criterion Collection, 
- Criterion collection; 773.
Criterion Collection ; 773
2 videodiscs (107 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Morant, Breaker, 1864?-1902 -- Drama.
Ross, Kenneth, 1941- -- Film adaptations.
South African War, 1899-1902 -- Drama.
Trials (Military offenses) -- Drama.
Great Britain. Army. Bushveldt Carbineers -- Drama.
Australia -- History, Military -- Drama.
Morant, Breaker, 1864?-1902.
Great Britain. Army. Bushveldt Carbineers.
South African War (1899-1902)
Trials (Military offenses)
- Feature films -- Australia.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In English with optional English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD ; NTSC, region 1 ; widescreen (1.85:1) presentation ; Dolby digital mono.
digital optical mono. Dolby Digital 1.0
video file DVD video region 1
- Three Australian lieutenants are court martialed for executing prisoners as a way of deflecting attention from war crimes committed by their superior officers. Based on a play and true story.
- Edward Woodward, Jack Thompson, John Waters, Bryan Brown, Charles Tingwell, Terence Donovan, Chris Haywood, Vincent Ball, Ray Meagher, Alan Cassell, Russell Kiefel, Rob Steele, Lewis Fitz-Gerald, Rod Mullinar.
- Cinematography, Donald McAlpine ; film editor, William Anderson ; production designer, David Copping ; wardrobe designer, Anna Senior ; musical arranger, Phil Cuneen.
- Adapted from the play 'Breaker' Morant by Kenneth Ross.
Originally produced as a motion picture in 1980.
Special features: Disc 1: Commentary (features director and coscreenwriter Bruce Beresford); Bruce Beresford (interview with Beresford recalls the production of the film); Donald McAlpine (McAlpine recalls his work on the film); Bryan Brown (Brown talks about his performance as Lieutenant Peter Handcock in the film); Edward Woodward (2004 interview with Woodward about playing Lieutenant Harry "Breaker" Morant in the film); The South African War (new piece about the Boer War with historian Stephen Miller); Trailer. Disc 2: The breaker (1973 documentary by Frank Shields looks at the life of the Anglo-Australian army captain Harry "Breaker" Morant); The myth exploded (2011, Frank Shields discusses his film and its omission of a key detail about Harry "Breaker" Morant). Insert includes an essay by film scholar Neil Sinyard.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1953 Fund.
- Beresford, Bruce, film director, screenwriter., Director, Screenwriter
Hardy, Jonathan, 1940- screenwriter., Screenwriter
Stevens, David, 1940-2018, screenwriter., Screenwriter
Carroll, Matthew, 1944- film producer., Producer
Woodward, Edward, 1930-2009, actor., Actor
Thompson, Jack, 1940- actor., Actor
Waters, John, 1948- actor., Actor
Brown, Bryan, 1947- actor., Actor
Tingwell, Charles, 1923-2009, actor., Actor
Donovan, Terence, 1942- actor., Actor
Haywood, Chris, 1948- actor., Actor
Ball, Vincent, 1923- actor., Actor
Meagher, Ray, actor., Actor
Cassell, Alan, 1932- actor., Actor
Fitz-Gerald, Lewis, actor., Actor
Mullinar, Rod, actor., Actor
McAlpine, Donald M., director of photography., Cinematographer
Anderson, William, 1948- editor of moving image work., Editor
Copping, David, 1936- production designer., Production personnel
Senior, Anna, costume designer., Costume designer
Cuneen, Phil, arranger of music., Arranger
Miller, Stephen M., 1964- filmmaker., Filmmaker
Shields, Frank, filmmaker., Filmmaker
Sinyard, Neil, writer of supplementary textual content.,
South Australian Film Corporation, production company., Producer
Australian Film Commission, production company., Producer
Seven Network Australia, production company., Producer
Pact Productions, production company., Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm), publisher., Publisher
Class of 1953 Fund.
- Publisher Number:
CC2532D The Criterion Collection (container)
CC2532D-1 The Criterion Collection (disc 1)
CC2532D-2 The Criterion Collection (disc 2)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|