A room with a view / Janus Films ; Goldcrest in association with National Film Finance Corporation, Curzon Film Distributors and Film Four International present a Merchant Ivory film ; directed by James Ivory ; produced by Ismail Merchant ; screenplay, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala.
- Director-approved DVD special edition.
- [New York, N.Y.] : The Criterion Collection, 
- Criterion collection; 775.
The Criterion collection ; 775
1 videodisc (117 min.) : DVD video, sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 fold-out insert.
DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Young women -- England -- Drama.
Courtship -- Drama.
British -- Italy -- Florence -- Drama.
Vacations -- Italy -- Florence -- Drama.
Forster, E. M. (Edward Morgan), 1879-1970 -- Film adaptations.
Forster, E. M. (Edward Morgan), 1879-1970
Italy -- Florence
- Romantic comedy films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Feature films -- Great Britain.
Romantic comedy films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In English with optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.
- System Details:
- DVD; NTSC; region 1; widescreen (1.66:1); Dolby Digital 2.0 surround.
digital optical stereo Dolby Digital 2.0
laser optical NTSC
video file DVD video region 1
- Based on E.M. Forster's novel of requited love. A young, independent-minded, upper-class Edwardian woman who is trying to sort out her burgeoning romantic feelings, divided between an enigmatic free spirit she meets on vacation in Florence and the priggish bookworm to whom she becomes engaged back in the more corseted Surrey. Funny, sexy, and sophisticated, this film was a gargantuan art-house hit.
- Maggie Smith, Helena Bonham-Carter, Denholm Elliott, Julian Sands, Simon Callow, Patrick Godfrey, Judi Dench, Fabia Drake, Joan Henley, Amanda Walker, Daniel Day-Lewis, Maria Britneva, Rosemary Leach, Rupert Graves, Peter Cellier, Mia Fothergill, Kitty Aldridge, Brigid Erin Bates, Isabella Celani, Luigi di Fiori, Matyelock Gibbs, Mirio Guidelli, Freddy Korner, Patty Lawrence, Elizabeth Marangoni, Peter Munt, Lucca Rossi, Stefano Serboli, Phillida Sewell, Margaret Ward.
- Photography, Tony Pierce-Roberts ; music, Richard Robbins ; edited by Humphrey Dixon ; production design, Gianni Quaranta, Brian Ackland-Snow ; costume design, Jenny Beavan, John Bright ; music orchestrated and conducted by Francis Shaw and Barrie Guard ; "O mio babbino caro" from Gianni Schicchi, "Chi il bel sogno di doretta" from La Rondine by Giacomo Puccini, performed by Kiri Te Kanawa with the London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir John Pritchard ; "Mademoiselle Modiste" composed by Victor Herbert, performed by The Dryden Orchestra of the Eastman School of Music.
- Based on the novel by E.M. Forster.
Originally released as a motion picture in 1986.
Special features: Thought and passion (documentary features director James Ivory, cinematography Tony Pierce-Roberts, and costume designer John Bright dicussion the production of the film); The eternal yes (documentary features actors Helena Bonham Carter, Simon Callow, and Julian Sands); NBC Nightly News (excerpt from the March 29, 1987 episode of NBC Nightly News, which profiles director James Ivory and producer Ismail Merchant); Trailer. Insert icnludes an essay by film critic and author John Pym.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1953 Fund.
- Ivory, James, film director., Director
Merchant, Ismail, film producer., Producer
Jhabvala, Ruth Prawer, 1927-2013, screenwriter., Screenwriter
Smith, Maggie, 1934- actor., Actor
Bonham Carter, Helena, 1966- actor., Actor
Elliott, Denholm, actor., Actor
Sands, Julian, actor., Actor
Callow, Simon, 1949- actor., Actor
Godfrey, Patrick, 1933- actor., Actor
Dench, Judi, 1934- actor., Actor
Drake, Fabia, actor.
Henley, Joan, 1904-1986, actor.
Walker, Amanda, actor., Actor
Day-Lewis, Daniel, actor., Actor
Britneva, Maria, 1921-1994, actor., Actor
Leach, Rosemary, 1935-2017, actor., Actor
Graves, Rupert, 1963- actor., Actor
Cellier, Peter, actor., Actor
Aldridge, Kitty, 1962- actor., Actor
Gibbs, Matyelok, actor., Actor
Sewell, Phillida, 1910-1998, actor., Actor
Pierce-Roberts, Tony, director of photography., Cinematographer
Robbins, Richard, 1940-2012, composer (expression), Composer
Dixon, Humphrey, editor of moving image work., Editor
Quaranta, Gianni, production designer., Production personnel
Ackland-Snow, Brian, production designer., Production personnel
Beavan, Jenny, 1950- costume designer., Costume designer
Bright, John, 1940- costume designer., Costume designer
Shaw, Francis, 1942- composer (expression), conductor., Composer, Conductor
Guard, Barrie, composer (expression), conductor., Composer, Conductor
Puccini, Giacomo, 1858-1924, composer (expression), Composer
Te Kanawa, Kiri, singer., Singer
Pritchard, John, 1921-1989, conductor., Conductor
Herbert, Victor, 1859-1924, composer (expression), Composer
Forster, E. M. (Edward Morgan), 1879-1970. , Author
Pym, John, writer of supplementary textual content.,
London Philharmonic Orchestra, performer., Performer
Eastman School of Music. Dryden Orchestra, performer., Performer
Janus Films, film distributor., Distributor
Goldcrest Films International, production company., Producer
National Film Finance Corporation (Great Britain), production company., Producer
Curzon Film Distributors, production company., Producer
Film Four International, production company., Producer
Merchant Ivory Productions, production company., Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm), publisher., Publisher
Class of 1953 Fund.
- Publisher Number:
CC2536D Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|