Die Brücke= the bridge / Deutsche Film Hansa zeigt ; den Fono-Film im Weltvertrieb Transocean-Film.
- Other Title:
- Container title: Bridge
- DVD special edition.
- [Irvington, N.Y.] : The Criterion Collection,  , ©2015
- Criterion collection; 763.
The Criterion Collection ; 763
1 videodisc (103 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 fold-out insert.
DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Gregor, Manfred, 1929- -- Film adaptations.
Gregor, Manfred, 1929-
World War (1939-1945)
World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany -- Drama.
Teenage boys -- Germany -- Drama.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Youth -- Drama.
- War films.
Feature films -- Germany (West).
Foreign language films -- German.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In German with optional English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, region 1; fullscreen (1.37:1 ratio) presentation; Dolby digital monaural.
digital optical mono Dolby Digital 1.0
video file DVD video region 1
- "... the first major antiwar film to come out of Germany after World War II, as well as the nation's first postwar film to be widely shown internationally, even securing an Oscar nomination. Set near the end of the conflict, it follows a group of teenage boys in a small town as they contend with everyday matters like school, girls, and parents, before enlisting as soldiers and being forced to defend their home turf in a confused, terrifying battle. This expressively shot, emotionally bruising drama dared to humanize young German soldiers at a historically tender moment"--Container.
- Karl Michael Balzer, Folker Bohnet, Michael Hinz, Günther Hoffmann, Frank Glaubrecht, Volker Lechtenbrink, Fritz Wepper, Cordula Trantow, Wolfgang Stumpf, Günter Pfitzmann, Heinz Spitzner, Siegfried Schürenberg.
- Director, Bernhard Wicki ; producers, Hermann Schwerin, Jochen Severin ; screenplay writers, Michael Mansfeld, Karl-Wilhelm Vivier, Bernhard Wicki ; director of photography, Gerd von Bonin ; editor, Carl Otto Bartning ; production designer, Heinrich Graf Brühl, Peter Scharff ; costume designer, Josef Wanke ; music, Hans-Martin Majewski.
- This film has no filmmaker or cast credits; all credits given are from its accompanying booklet except screenplay authors, supplied by IMDb website.
Originally produced as a motion picture in 1959.
Based on the novel by Gregor Dorfmeister, writing as Gregor Manfred.
Special features: Gregor Dorfmeister (the author discusses the autobiographical nature of the story and the impact of the novel and film); Bernhard Wicki (excerptd from a 1989 episode of the German television show Das Sonntagsgespräch (Sunday Talk) the director discusses the making of the film); Volker Schlöndorff (director Schlöndorff discusses the film focusing on its impact on younger Germans and the affection his generation of filmmakers--collectively known as the New German Cinema--had for director Bernhard Wicki); Against the grain: the film legend of Bernhard Wicki (excerpt from the 2007 documentary about the director by his widow Elisabeth Wicki-Endriss featuring test reel footage from the shoot). Insert includes an essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1953 Fund.
- Wicki, Bernhard, 1919-2000, film director, screenwriter., Director, Screenwriter
Schwerin, Hermann, film producer., Producer
Severin, Jochen, film producer., Producer
Mansfeld, Michael, 1922-1979, screenwriter., Screenwriter
Vivier, Karl Wilhelm, screenwriter., Screenwriter
Balzer, Karl Michael, actor., Actor
Bohnet, Folker, 1937- actor., Actor
Hinz, Michael, 1939-2008, actor., Actor
Hoffmann, Günther, 1942- actor., Actor
Glaubrecht, Frank, 1943- actor., Actor
Lechtenbrink, Volker, actor., Actor
Wepper, Fritz, actor., Actor
Trantow, Cordula, 1942- actor., Actor
Stumpf, Wolfgang, actor., Actor
Pfitzmann, Günter, 1924-2003, actor., Actor
Sptizner, Heinz, 1916-1992, actor., Actor
Schürenberg, Siegfried, 1900-1993, actor., Actor
Bonin, Gerd von, director of photography., Cinematographer
Bartning, C. O. (Carl Otto), film editor., Editor
Brühl, Heinrich Graf, production designer., Production personnel
Scharff, Peter, 1924- production designer., Production personnel
Wanke, Josef, costume designer., Costume designer
Majewski, Hans-Martin, 1911-1997, composer (expression), Composer
Schlöndorff, Volker, interviewee (expression), Interviewee
Wicki-Endriss, Elisabeth, 1944- filmmaker., Filmmaker
Rafferty, Terrence, writer of supplementary textual content.,
Deutsche Film Hansa, presenter., Presenter
Fono-Film, production company., Producer
Transocean-Film, production company., Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm), film distributor., Distributor
Class of 1953 Fund.
- Publisher Number:
CC2500DVD Criterion Collection
CC2500 Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|