Object lessons : the visualisation of nineteenth-century life sciences / George Loudon ; with photography by Rosamund Purcell ; Lynne Cooke in conversation with George Loudon ; essay by Robert McCracken Peck.
- London : Ridinghouse, 2015.
- Santa Monica, CA : Distributed in the US by RAM Publications + Distribution, Inc.
255 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 31 cm
- Loudon, George -- Natural history collections.
Loudon, George -- Scientific apparatus collections.
Loudon, George -- Art collections.
Art and biology -- History -- 19th century -- Catalogs.
Biology in art -- Catalogs.
Biological illustration -- History -- 19th century -- Catalogs.
Biological specimens -- Catalogs and collections.
Biological models -- Catalogs.
Life sciences -- In art -- Catalogs.
Natural history -- Catalogs and collections.
Scientific apparatus and instruments -- Private collections.
Art -- Private collections.
Art and biology.
Biology in art.
- Offering a unique perspective on the intersection of art and science, the historic curiosities in this collection reveal their creators' remarkable capacity for artistic expression. Assembling nearly 200 pieces from the collection of George Loudon, the volume encompasses a vast assortment of objects relating to nineteenth-century life sciences. Originally designed to capture the complex structures of nature, they range from books and illustrations to botanical specimens and anatomical models. Having lost most of their original pedagogical function over time, the objects are now open for contemporary reappraisal; acquiring new values that can inspire, seduce and even disorientate today's viewer. Alongside new photography by Rosamond Purcell, explanatory texts on the objects by Loudon, an essay by Robert McCracken Peck, and a conversation between Loudon and Lynne Cooke together offer insight into the objects' original context and potential for new perspectives.
- Introduction / George Loudon
A closer look : selected images from the collection
Object lessons / Lynne Cooke in conversation with George Loudon
Looking again / Robert McCracken Peck
The collection / George Loudon
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Purcell, Rosamond Wolff, photographer.
Cooke, Lynne, interviewer.
Peck, Robert McCracken, 1952- author.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|