Capital Account Policies in Chile Macro-financial considerations along the path to liberalization [electronic resource] Carriere-Swallow, Yan.
- Washington, D.C. : International Monetary Fund, 2013.
- IMF eLibrary
IMF Working Papers; Working Paper No. 13/107.
IMF Working Papers; Working Paper No. 13/107
- Government document
1 online resource (32 p.)
- Local subjects:
- Access to international capital.
Access to international capital markets.
Capital account liberalization.
Capital account policies.
Capital account restrictions.
Central Banks and Their Policies.
Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary or Stabilization Policy.
Composition of capital inflows.
Cost of capital.
Current Account Adjustments.
Current account deficit.
Domestic capital markets.
Exchange rate policy.
Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy.
Fixed income securities.
Floating exchange rate regime.
Global capital markets.
Global Financial Crisis. -- 2008-2009
International capital markets.
Local capital markets.
Long-Term Capital Movements.
New york stock exchange.
Private capital inflows.
Short-term capital inflows.
Short-Term Capital Movements.
Volatility of capital inflows.
- This paper recounts Chile’s experience with capital account policies since the 1990s. We present how two external shocks were confronted under very different macroeconomic and capital account frameworks. We show that during the 1997-98 Asian-LTCM-Russia crisis, a closed capital account and relatively rigid exchange rate severely constrained the monetary policy response to the shock, aggravating the fall in domestic demand. During the 2008-09 crisis, a full-fledged inflation targeting framework allowed the authorities to implement a significant countercyclical response. We argue that domestic stability considerations lay behind the policy regime switch toward capital account liberalization from 1999 onwards.
- Description based on print version record.
- Carriere-Swallow, Yan.
- Other format:
- Print Version:
- Publisher Number:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|