Leading Indicators of Banking Crises [electronic resource] : Was Asia Different?
- Washington, D.C. : International Monetary Fund, 1998.
- IMF eLibrary
IMF Working Papers; Working Paper No. 98/91.
IMF Working Papers; Working Paper No. 98/91
- Government document
1 online resource (32 p.)
- Local subjects:
- Asian crisis.
Banking sector distress.
Banking sector fragility.
Banking sector problems.
Banking system distress.
Banking system fragility.
Banks balance sheets.
Deposit insurance scheme.
Systemic banking crises.
Congo, Democratic Republic of the.
Korea, Republic of.
- This paper examines episodes of the banking system distress and crisis in a large sample of countries. The empirical results identify several macroeconomic and financial variables as useful leading indicators. The main macroeconomic indicators were of limited value in predicting the Asian crises; the best warning signs were proxies for the vulnerability of the banking and corporate sector. Full-blown banking crises are shown to be more associated with external developments, and domestic variables are the main leading indicators of severe but contained banking distress.
- Description based on print version record.
- International Monetary Fund
- Other format:
- Print Version:
- Publisher Number:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|