[Diptych sundial with compass].
- [Nuremberg] : [self-manufactured?], [between 1777 and 1821]
- 3D object
1 sundial : wood, thread, glass, metal, and paper ; closes to 9 x 5.5 x 2 cm
- Sundials -- Specimens.
Diptychs -- Specimens.
Time measurements -- Specimens.
- Place of Publication:
- Germany Nuremberg.
- Wooden diptych which opens in half to show two hand colored sundials, one on the top and the other on the bottom half of the interior casing. There is also a magnetic compass embedded in lower portion of diptych within the inset of a hand drawn compass. The dial within the compass inset is signed "Verfertigt von David Beringer." A green gnomen (string or colored cord connecting the sundial and the compass) could be adjusted for latitudes between 40 and 54.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Papers affixed to inner surfaces include dials with numbers and colored illustrations.
Magnetic compass inset in lower portion of wooden diptych.
Thread attached to each face of diptych.
Paper affixed to outer surface includes list of 48 European cities with their corresponding latitudes.
- Local notes:
- RBC has portion of green colored gnomen still attached to lower half of diptych.
RBC copy acquired from Daniel Crouch Rare Books.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Jonathan A. Hill Endowed Fund.
- Penn Provenance:
- Rosengarten Family Fund (donor)
Jonathan A. Hill Endowed Fund (donor)
- Penn Chronology:
- between 1777 and 1821
- Rosengarten Family Fund.
Jonathan A. Hill Endowed Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|