Concepts of value in European material culture, 1500-1900 / edited by Bert De Munck and Dries Lyna.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 
- History of retailing and consumption.
The history of retailing and consumption
xiii, 290 pages : illustrations, maps, 24 cm.
- Consumption (Economics) -- Europe -- History.
Material culture -- Europe -- History.
Capital market -- Europe -- History.
Fair value -- Europe.
Valuation -- Europe.
- "The dominance of economic repertories of value is a relatively new phenomenon, and one which directly correlates to the steady advent of capitalism in early modern Europe. This volume brings together scholars with expertise in a variety of related fields, including economic history, the history of consumption and material culture, art history, and the history of collecting, to explore changing concepts of value from the early modern period to the nineteenth century and present a new view on the advent of modern economic practices. Jointly, they fundamentally challenge traditional historical narratives about the rise of our contemporary market economy and consumer society"-- Provided by publisher.
- Locating and dislocating value : a pragmatic approach to early modern and nineteenth-century economic practices / Bert De Munck and Dries Lyna
PART I. EXPANDING MARKETS AND MARKET DEVICES. Labelling with numbers? : weavers, merchants and the valuation of linen in seventeenth-century Münster / Christof Jeggle
Words of value? : art auctions and semiotic socialisation in the Austrian Netherlands (1750-1794) / Dries Lyna
From a 'knowledgeable' salesman towards a 'recognizable' product? : questioning branding strategies before industrialization (Antwerp, seventeenth to nineteenth centuries) / Ilja Van Damme
Golden touchstones? : the culture of auctions of paintings in Brussels, 1830-1900 / Anneleen Arnout
PART II. CONVENTIONS, MATERIAL CULTURE AND INSTITUTIONS. The justness of aestimatio and the justice of transactions : defining real estate values in early modern Milan / Michela Barbot
Vehicles of disinterested pleasure : French painting and non-remunerative value in the eighteenth century / Tomas Macsotay
Usefulness, ornamental function and novelty : debates on quality in button and buckle manufacturing in northern Italy (eighteenth to nineteenth centuries) / Barbara Bettoni
PART III. THE OLD AND THE NEW. 'Façon de Venise' : determining the value of glass in early modern Europe / Corine Maitte
The veneer of age : valuing the patina of silver in eighteenth-century Britain / Helen Clifford
The value of a collection : collecting practices in early modern Europe / Adriana Turpin.
- Collection of 11 essays in English.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Munck, Bert De, 1967- editor.
Lyna, Dries, author editor.
- 9781472451965 (hardcover : alkaline paper)
1472451961 (hardcover : alkaline paper)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|